Published On : Tue, Apr 3rd, 2018

With splendid makeover, Tekdi Ganesh Mandir to have ‘Pink’ look


Nagpur: City’s historic Tekdi Ganesh Mandir that attracts lakhs of devotees every day is in for a splendid makeover. With the ongoing renovation, the temple would have a ‘Pink’ look. With a tall dome, stone cladding and carvings, three-carved pillars, porch on east and west side will give a new look to the historic temple. The management is contemplating to adorn the temple with Pink sandstones and has invited tenders from Bansi Pahadpur, renowned for the brilliant pink sandstones. To spruce up temple’s look, the entrance will have intricate tile work on one side and on another side there will be beautiful paintings depicting various moods of Lord Ganesh.

Out of 20 tenders, sandstone samples from six tenders have also been sought. Along with pink look, a 51-kg throne made of gold is also being prepared for Ganpati Bappa. A provision of Rs 5 crore has been made. The renovated temple will need around 6000 sq ft sandstones. The temple will have 80 percent pink stones and the remaining 20 percent red stones. According to information, the tendering process was completed on March 28 and the authorities are churning over the strength and quality of the stones needed. Six firms including two from Nagpur and one each from Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Kachh and Bayana (Bharatpur) have provided samples of stones with quality and carvings. According to sources, the work order will be issued within in a month. The temple management has put in place the terms and conditions before the bidders such as cutting the stones, bringing them to the temple and putting them on the outside wall. At present, 75% of the renovation of the temple has been completed and the remaining work is likely to be completed by May-June.

Gold throne, silver ‘Kalash’:
In the newly renovated temple, a 51-kg gold ‘simhasan’ (throne) will be installed around the idol of Lord Ganesh as well as opulent chandeliers which will brighten up the sanctum sanctorum. On March 30, the proposal for making gold throne was approved at the general body meeting of Tekdi Ganesh Mandir Trust. The tender process will be completed soon. The dome of the temple is almost ready. The Trust has decided to install 5-10 kg gold plated silver kalash.

Sound-proof meditation centre:
A meditation centre is being built at the upper floor in front of idol of the deity. This glass made center will be sound proof. Only one staircase was constructed for going to balcony but considering the heavy festive rush, another one will be built soon. The Trust has done a lot for the magnificence of the temple. There is a wide variety of ideas for beautification and beauty of the temple. The marble can be used on the inner walls of the temple, and the floor will be made from granite. The other smaller temples within the vicinity of the main temple will also be built in that place.

The temple has celebrities, actors, and sportspersons in its list of devotees. The deity is ‘swayambhu’ and emerged from under the ground when this hillock was blown by dynamite during the construction of Nagpur railway station. A tin shed was put up in 1936 over the idol and around the peepal tree which stands above it.

While the entire premises of the Tekdi temple is being given a facelift, the idol of Lord Ganesh and the huge peepal tree right behind the idol, will not be touched. Since the idol of Lord and the peepal tree are heritage properties, they will not be disturbed.