Nagpur: The Maharashtra Cabinet on Tuesday approved the 48.29 km elevated route of the Phase-2 of Nagpur Metro Rail project. The Nagpur Metro project is being implemented by Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited, Nagpur, at the cost of Rs 11,239 crore. The funds have also been approved by the State Cabinet in a meeting held in Mumbai on Tuesday. The project has been declared as very important urban project.
The construction work of first phase of the Nagpur Metro is in full swing at present. The first phase has 38 stations in two stretches – MIHAN to Automotive Square, and Lokmanya Nagar to Prajapati Nagar. These two routes have interchange station at Sitabuldi. The Phase-2 will cover 48.3 km stretch divided into five segments — Lokmanya Nagar to Hingna, Wasudeo Nagar to Wadi, Automotive Square to Kanhan River, Prajapati Nagar to Transport Nagar, and MIHAN to Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) elevated service reservoir (ESR). In the Phase-2, interchange station will be at Wasudeo Nagar. In all, there will be 35 stations in Phase-2. The estimated expenditure on Phase-2 works will be Rs 11,239 crore.
The approval by the State Cabinet was just a formality as the Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had given his nod to the Phase-II of Nagpur Metro Rail Project on the very first day of the year 2019. The Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation(Maha-Metro) officials had made the detailed presentation on Phase-II of Nagpur Metro Rail project in the meeting.
Salient features of second phase of Nagpur Metro
• The second phase of Nagpur Metro is 48.3 km long
• This includes 35 stations
• Metro 1 A- Mihan to Industrial Development Corporation ESR (18.7 km) Metro 2 A -Automative square to Kanhan river (13 km)
• Metro 3 A- Lokmanya Nagar to Hingna ( 6.6 km)
• Metro 4A- Pardi to Transport Nagar (5.5 km)
• Metro 5- Vasudev Nagar to Wadi (4.5 km)
• Due to the Phase 2, the transport capacity of more than 2.9 lakh commuters will be developed in the year 2024 whereas due to Phase 1 and 2 the transport capacity per day will be 5.5 lakhs.