The day after a middle-aged man died of snake bite in the jurisdiction of Hudkeshwar Police Station, another incident of snake bite was reported, adequately pointing out many must have died of snake bite but went unreported and many could die after considering the perfect situation the excessive rains for past two-odd months.
According to police, surprisingly and shockingly a Railway employee was bitten by a snake while he was on duty and that too in his cabin.
The victim Shantilal Babulal Bawaria (47), resident of Ajni Railway Quarters, near Water Tank, was on duty at SNT Cabin near Narendra Nagar underbridge. He was bitten by the snake between 1400 hours and 2200 hours. He was found unconscious by the reliever employee and was rushed to Government Medical Hospital where Shantilal died while undergoing treatment at about 2330 on Friday.
On Thursday, too, a middle aged man Raju Parasram Bawne (45), a resident of Plot No. 58, Priyanka Colony, Narsala, Sambhaji Nagar, was bitten by a snake while he was sleeping on the ground in his house. Raju Bawne was bitten by the snake on his left hand thumb. Raju was rushed to Government Medical Hospital where he died at about 0220 hours ofFriday while undergoing treatment.
An 18-year old girl Jayashree Premdas Marbate, resident of a village nearby Nagpur, too, fell victim to snake bite. However, the girl battled for life with for few days but ultimately died of toxic the snake had injected into her body. In India, the snake bite takes a heavy toll following lack of facilities in almost all Government Hospitals and costly treatment. Moreover, in majority of the cases, the victims fail to inform doctors about the species they were bitten by. The anti-venom vials differ from species to species.
SNAKE BITE CASES ON EXPECTED LINES:
The three cases are not the isolated ones or unusual. The atmosphere has been created a perfect one for snakes – both poisonous and non-poisonous to hiss and attack the human beings. The excessive rains this monsoon and flooding of several low lying areas by rain water and the overflowing of Nag Nadi, Pili Nadi and other sources like “Nallahs” have triggered a deadly network of snakes in residential areas. And the greenery and the mushrooming of thick bushes in Nagpur have added comfort to the species of serpents.
Most of the snakes found in India are not so fond of water, or you can say avoid water sources the maximum period. India is home for species like Russel’s Viper, Cobra, Rattle Snake, Coral Snake (Generally found nearby jungle areas close to sea beaches), Rat Snake (Non-poisonous) and many other poisonous and non-poisonous snakes. Water snakes found in lakes and rivers are non-poisonous. But snakes enjoying oceans are deadliest and highly toxic only competing with Inland Taipan on land and native of Australia only and most toxic with a drop capable of killing 100 human beings and 1,00,000 rats.
The snakes have come out of their pits to avoid watery grave and have spread to residential areas or other dry areas. And since their pits have been under water, they are in no mood to return back to pits in the near future. This very mood has put hundreds of residents in Nagpur to grave danger of snake bite. Several areas in and around Nagpur have turned choicest places for deadliest species. And the more the snakes in residential areas the more the victims of snake bite.
The only remedy for the residents of Nagpur and the surrounding areas is to maintain a safe distance whenever they encounter the snakes and let them go to their destinations. The snakes carry more fear of human beings than the humans themselves. Any attempt to kill the snakes provokes the species to go natural and launch counterattack and this is where the humans fall prey to snake bite. Another best remedy for residents to avoid snakes is to call “Sarpa Mitras” (experts in catching snakes) whenever they spot the species.
Although every snake is not poisonous, but a snake bite even by the non-poisonous, sometimes, results in death of the victim. Not by the bite, but out of fear of certain death and subsequent cardiac arrest. Even bite from a harmless snake, of course, can cause allergic reaction.
Following are the tips to be followed if a poisonous snake bites:
• Fang marks
• Swelling/severe pain at the site
• Bloody discharge from wound
• Excessive sweating
• Blurred vision
• Numbness/tingling sensation
• Increased thirst
• Loss of muscle co-ordinations
• Rapid pulse
a. Seek Medical help as soon as possible. Meanwhile –
• Wash wound with soap/water
• Immobilize the affected area
• Keep area slightly elevated
• Apply cool compress/wet cloth to affected part
• Apply a firm bandage 2-4 inches above bite to
i. Prevent venom from spreading
ii.Take care of any bleeding
b. Monitor for pulse, respiration and blood pressure
• Do not attempt to kill a snake.
• If you spot a snake, leave it alone
• While hiking or in the woods, stay out of tall grass
• Do not put your hand into pits/crevices during treks
• Exercise caution while climbing rocks