Nagpur: The Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) on Thursday celebrated its 66th Foundation Day. NMC came into existence on March 2, 1951 in accordance with the Central Province & Berar Act 1948 (CP & Berar II of 1950).
The Mayor Pravin Datke, to mark celebration of 66th Foundation Day of NMC, garlanded the life-size statue of the first Mayor Bar Sheshrao Wankhede at the lawns of civic body’s Central Office in Civil Lines. Datke, on the occasion, recalled the contribution of former Mayors, other office-bearers, officials and employees in development of NMC.
Other dignitaries present on the occasion include ex-Mayor and MLC Prof Anil Sole, Municipal Commissioner Shravan Hardikar, newly-elected Corporators Deepraj Pardikar, Mohd Jamal, Viranka Bhivgade, Mangala Lanjewar, Narendra Valde, Vandana Chandekar, Vaishali Narnavre, Mamata Sahare, Additional Commissioners Dr Ramnath Sonavane, Dr R Z Siddiqui, Ravindra Kumbhare, Deputy Commissioners Ravindra Deotale, Jayant Dandegaonkar, NMC Secretary Harish Debey, Deputy Director (Audit) A A Kumbhojkar, Assistant Commissioner (GAD) Mahesh Dhamecha, Assistant Commissioner (LBT) Milind Meshram, Superintending Engineer (PWD) Manoj Talewar, Development Engineer Satish Neral, PRO Ashok Kolhatkar, and other officials and employees.
The Municipal Council for Nagpur was established in 1864. At that time, the area under the jurisdiction of the Nagpur Municipal Council was 15.5 km2 and the population was 82,000.
The duties entrusted to the Nagpur Municipal Council were to maintain cleanliness and arrange for street lights and water supply with government assistance. In 1922, the Central Provinces & Berar Municipalities Act was framed for the proper functioning of the Municipal Council.
On 22 January 1950, CP & Berar Act No. 2 was published in the Madhya Pradesh Gazette which is known as the City of Nagpur Corporation Act, 1948 (CNC Act). The Municipal Corporation came into existence in March 1951. The first development plan of the city was prepared in 1953. In the year 1956, under the state reconstitution, the Berar Province merged into the Maharashtra State with Mumbai being recognised as its capital; in 1960, Nagpur was declared as the second capital of the state.