A fire caused extensive damage to four shops in Itwari and a godown in Surya Nagar on the intervening night of Sunday and Monday.
In the first incidence, a fire broke out in the intervening night of Sunday and Monday at 2:11 am in four shops at Itwari. The shops M/s Famous Plywood Centre and M/s Famous Enterprises owned by Mohammad Jakariya Mohammad Yaqub, M/s Akbari Sales Service owned by Mohammad Iqbar Mohammad Yaqub and one more shop were gutted in the fire. The residents living nearby first tried to extinguish the fire but when the fire got out of control, the fire department was informed. Fire tenders of the fire department reached the spot and tried to douse the fire. It took eight fire tenders and 3 hours to control the fire completely.
“It took time to control the fire since the shops were situated in congested lanes of Itwari,” said Fire Department official Chandan Khede. He added that ignitable materials like plywood, Fevicol, sun-mica, Formica, sanitary materials, wooden frames, door frames, kept in the four shops were turned to ashes in the fire. The shop owners have reportedly suffered a loss of Rs 21 lakh in this fire.
In the second fire incident, which occurred in the wee hours of Monday, materials worth Rs 4 lakh were turned to ashes in Surya Nagar area. The fire broke out in the Bardana godown of Sanjay Mansaj at Surya Nagar. Several fire tenders reached the spot and controlled the fire after a struggle of few hours. This fire too took nearly seven fire tenders to control the fire. Material worth Rs 4 lakh was gutted in the fire, the officials said. Though exact reason behind this fire could not be ascertained, officials said that a short circuit in the godown might be the reason of this fire accident.