Kamble double murder: Accused Ankit Shahu remanded to police custody for fourth time

Rashi and Usha Kamble Murder
Nagpur: In a record of sorts, one of the accused in sensational Kamble double murder case, Ankit Shahu, was remanded to police custody for the fourth time. The accused was produced in the court of Judge Qazi as his police custody remand ended on Tuesday. As investigating police official sought custody remand afresh, the court remanded the accused Ankit Shahu to police custody till April 4. This is the fourth time that the accused has been remanded to police custody.

Government Pleader Nitin Telgote, Assistant Government Pleader Prashant Sakhre and assisting Adv Sameer Sonavane represented the State.

Ankit Shahu was arrested for his involvement in the murder of Usha Kamble and her one and a half year old granddaughter Rashi, mother and daughter respectively of Nagpur Today’s senior crime reporter Ravikant Kamble.

Earlier cops had arrested Ganesh Shahu, his wife Gudiya and a minor boy in the case. Ganesh owns a grocery shop in Pawansut Nagar, who had brutally killed Usha Kamble and Rashi by slitting their throats with a tin plate of an oil can. Ganesh had murdered Usha and Rashi on the first floor of his house. In a bid to destroy the evidence, Ganesh along with other accused had packed the bodies in gunny bags and dumped them under a culvert near Durga Layout, behind Vihirgaon village on Umred road.

The Kamble duo was earlier reported missing, but later their bodies were found in the nullah. Ganesh Shahu, in his statement, has admitted to have committed the crime. In his statement Ganesh said that Usha had demanded Rs 7000 from him and allegedly abused him in front of customers in his grocery shop. He then asked Usha to come to his house above the shop on the pretext of giving her money. After an argument, he along with other accused brutally killed Usha and Rashi.

An offence under sections 302, 364, 201, 34 of Indian Penal Code, read with Sections 2,3 and 5 of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, was registered against the accused.