New Delhi: The Election Commission has announced the schedule for Bihar Assembly Elections. Here are the live updates:
Number of constituencies to go to polls under different phases:
- First phase – 49
- Second phase – 32
- Third phase – 50
- Fourth phase – 55
- Fifth phase – 57
Counting of votes on – November 8
- First phase of polling on – October 12
- Second phase of polling on – October 16
- Third phase of polling on – October 28
- Fourth phase of polling on – November 1
- Fifth phase of polling on – November 5
- Poll to be conducted in five phases – CEC
- Urge all voters to come out and vote – CEC
- As per the law exit polls will be prohibited from first day of poll to last day of the last phase – CEC Nasim Zaidi
- Model code of conduct has come into force – CEC
- 243 general poll observers and 38 police observers will be there – CEC
- Voter slips to be issued five days prior to poll date – CEC
- Two modal polling stations per constituency to be set up – CEC
- VVPAT (voter verified paper audit trail) to be used in 36 constituencies – CEC
- Single-window system set up for political parties. They will get necessary permissions and information within 36 hours – CEC
- The EC has ensured assessment of all vulnerable points where anti-social elements have been recognised – CEC
- Our machinery gathering information on places where money and liquor is stored – CEC
- Necessary arrangements for free and fair elections in place – CEC
- Out of total 243 Assembly constituencies, 47 are affected by left-wing extremism. Also, 29 districts out of 38 are affected by left-wing extremism. Central paramilitary forces will man all such constituencies – CEC
- Several festivals fall during Bihar polls including Dussehra, Navratras, Eid – CEC
- We have devoted a lot of preparations to Bihar elections – CEC
- Total electorate in Bihar is 6.68 crores – Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi
The Election Commission press conference to announce Bihar poll dates has started. Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi and Election Commisioners AK Jyoti and Om Prakash Rawat are present.
The Election Commission will announce the schedule for Bihar Assembly Elections on Wednesday.
The Commission will hold a press conference at 2.30 pm to announce the poll dates.
The central poll panel was expected to announce the dates yesterday but postponed it till today.
Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi and Election Commisioners AK Jyoti and Om Prakash Rawat had met in the capital yesterday to finalise the poll schedule. However, the announcement was deferred till today, sources said.
There is speculation that the Bihar Assembly polls could be held in five to seven phases beginning mid-October.
The phases could be spread over a month’s period and the entire exercise is likely to be completed before Diwali on November 11.
Why the EC may have been finding it difficult to finalise the poll schedule is because several big festivals fall during the months of October and November — Dussehra, Lakshmi Puja, Kali Puja, Diwali and Chatt.
Last time, the 2010 Bihar elections were conducted in six phases spread over 30 days.