Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday, who is on a two-week visit to the United States, attacked the Narendra Modi government saying that “violence and anger and the politics of polarisation have raised their ugly head in India”, a development “that is new to the country”.
While addressing students of the prestigious University of California, Barkley on ‘India at 70: Reflections on the Path Forward, he also talked about what has led to the Congress party’s decline.
“Around 2012, arrogance crept into the Congress party and we stopped having conversations with people,” he said when asked about the Congress party’s path forward and whether it had any shortcomings.
When asked about taking up executive role in the Congress, he said, “I am absolutely ready for that, but our party works according to organizational elections.”
There’s a BJP machine, 1000 guys with computers, to abuse me, tell you I’m reluctant, I’m stupid. Here I am. Listen to me. Judge for yourself.
– All day they spread abuse about me, and the operation is run by the gentleman who is running our country
– Mr. Modi clamped down on the RTI (Right to Information). He shut it down. We got in trouble as we dramatically increased transparency
– Most of the country runs like this, so don’t go after me, Akhilesh Yadav a dynast, Mr Stalin a dynast, Mr Dhumal’s son a dynast
– Around 2012, arrogance crept into Congress party and we stopped having conversations with people
– Congress decides policy and vision through conversations and not by imposition
– I lost my father, my grandmother to violence, if I don’t understand violence then who will?
– I am with 1984 riot victims in their quest for justice, violence again anybody I strongly condemn
– Government’s economic policy of demonetisation and hastily implemented GST has caused tremendous pressure on economy
– Mr. Modi has certain skills, he is a very good communicator, much better than me
— For 9 years I worked behind the scenes with PM Manmohan Singh,P Chidambaram,Jairam Ramesh and others on J&K
— When we started, terrorism was rampant in Kashmir, when we finished there was peace, we had broken the back of terrorists.
— By 2013,we basically broke the back of terror, I hugged PM Manmohan Singh and told him it was one of the biggest achievements.
— PDP was instrumental in bringing youngsters in politics, but the day PM Modi made alliance with PDP, he destroyed them.
— So he (PM Modi) massively opened up space for the terrorists in Kashmir, and you saw the increase in violence.
— A lady from crowd heckles moderators at Rahul Gandhi programme and asks, “how is this free speech if you are controlling what is being asked.
— Even Mr Abhishek Bachchan is a dynast, also Mr Ambani, that’s how entire country is running.