The all-important discussion over drought situation in Maharashtra and agrarian crisis witnessed pointless issues cropping up, blame-game at feverish pitch, non-serious members, taunting, pricking, leg-pulling and the show off. Following are some of the highlights of today’s discussion in Assembly (Vidhan Sabha).
1) The Opposition members, in a bid to steal the show, unnecessarily made an issue of Chief Minister and Revenue Minister’s absence despite two Cabinet Ministers (including Pankaja Munde) and five Ministers of State were seated in the House during the discussion. The Ministers present tried to handle the unwarranted situation but to step back following a united uproar by Opposition. The result: Speaker Haribhau Bagde was forced to adjourn the House for 10 minutes.
2) When the House assembled, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis was present. Intervening in the discussion, he said that the Opposition is not serious over the crucial discussion. When the Opposition was in Government, many times only a Minister of State remained present in the House during discussions on important issues. That time we cooperated with them. During the discussion I have to go out for Government’s reply. Hence I had left the House.
3) As soon as the proceedings of the House got underway, Hingna MLA Sameer Meghe, seating on the last bench, was seen busy in long talk with another MLA. And when the discussion on drought started, Meghe vanished from the House. The attitude of new member towards House proceedings left a bad impression of him.
4) Ajit Pawar did some leg pulling of newly inducted Shiv Sena Minister Eknathrao Shinde. “Finally you have got the red-beaconed car but received a non-significant portfolio.” Pawar was silenced by Treasury Benches when dared to stand up and raise question on important issues rather than indulging in taunting.
5) The hardened politicians Ajit Pawar and Chhagan Bhujbal, during their speeches, pricked Shiv Sena leaders over one issue or the other for their U-Turn and joining the BJP Government.
6) The Ruling Party members Sanjay Kunte and Dr Ashish Deshmukh spoke like seasoned members of the House and raised their issues with aplomb.
7) Ajit Pawar, sulking over absence of Chief Minister at the customary Tea Party, again ruffled Fadnavis. Pawar said the Chief Minister could have held an informal discussion with Opposition over a dinner but the Chief Minister preferred an outing and inaugurated Ramjhula!!