Nagpur: With the Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) election round the corner, city police have initiated a slew of measures to ensure free, fair and peaceful conduct of the poll. The measures include guidelines to be followed by contesting political parties as well as candidates.
Following are the measures for the February 21 NMC poll to ensure a level playing field:
- In accordance with the provisions of Section 123(5) of People’s Representatives Act 1951, the candidate or his representative has been barred to transport voters in his or rented vehicle on polling day.
- No private vehicle is allowed to enter within 200 meters of a polling centre.
- Candidates contesting NMC poll can use only one vehicle for their use only. Candidates have to make an application to the concerned Election Returning Officer and notify vehicle’s registration for permission. The permission label should be pasted in the front glass of the vehicle.
- Voters using their private vehicles for themselves or families should not take their vehicles within periphery of 200 meters of the polling centers.
- The candidates and political parties shall not display any posters, flags, symbols or any other propaganda material within 100 meters of a polling centre. . No eatable shall be served or crowd allowed at the camps andThe restriction measures will come into force from February 19 till the entire poll process is complete.
However, the restrictions are not applicable to government officers/employees assigned the election work by State Election Commission.The measures have been initiated by Joint Commissioner of Police Shivaji Bodkhe in accordance with the provisions under Section 144 of Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC), 1993.