Chicken tikka masala takeaways are among the most popular dinner options in England. Chicken tikka masala is a dish of roasted chunks of chicken in a spicy sauce. The sauce is usually creamy, spiced and orange-coloured.
So to everyone who love having Indian food, especially non-veg, I recommend knocking out a batch of chicken tikka masala and touting your exotic new skills with a fake British accent.
Servings : 4
Prep Time : 30 minutes, plus overnight refrigeration
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
- For the marinade
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
For the masala sauce
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1-inch piece peeled ginger root, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter or ghee
- 3 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 whole red chili, crushed slightly with the back of a knife (optional)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- Mix all marinade ingredients and pour over chicken in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours, preferably overnight.
- Cook chicken in a large pan over high heat until nearly cooked through, then transfer to a plate and set aside. You’ll want the chicken to finish cooking in the sauce. Discard the remainer of the marinade.
- Combine onion, garlic and ginger in a blender until smooth. Heat the clarified butter in a medium saucepan, then pour in onion mixture. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. If you want yours on the spicier side, throw in a whole red chili.
- Add garam masala and tomatoes, lower heat slightly and cook until tomatoes cook down into the sauce, about 15 minutes.
- Add chicken, and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, remove from heat, fish out the whole chili, taste for salt and allow to stand and thicken for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with basmati rice, chopped cilantro, yogurt and lime wedges.