Dr Rajesh Swarnakar leading Pulmonologist of Nagpur, Secretary of Indian Chest Society, Vidarbha Chest Association and Director of Getwell Hospital, Dhantoli Nagpur
Asthma is a chronic disease which is affecting all age groups. It’s a hyper responsiveness of the airway to certain stimulus such as allergens, stress etc. It starts early in childhood and has symptoms of cough, breathlessness and chest tightness. Most important investigation being spirometry that guides for diagnosis as well as treatment : said Dr Rajesh Swarnakar leading Pulmonologist of Nagpur, Secretary of Indian Chest Society, Vidarbha Chest Association and Director of Getwell Hospital, Dhantoli Nagpur.
There is rise in the incidence of asthma in school going children which is of concern as its symptoms leads to absentees in school. This affects the social and psychological development of the child. Lack of awareness in parents let the symptoms to get worsen. The best available treatment is inhalation therapy which is safe as needed in micrograms and almost devoid of any long term side effects. Because of lack of awareness about availability of a very effective treatment in asthma people continue to suffer blaming their fate. While truth is that by controlling your asthma one can lead a normal active life.
We at ICS exhort all patients of Asthma to expect nothing less than following goals to achieve from their Doctor’s treatment of their Asthma:
1) No suffering from Asthma symptoms like cough, breathlessness ,chest tightness
2) No awakening at night due to asthma problem
3) No absence of child from school or adult from his workplace due to asthma
4) Near normal lung function as measured by spirometry
5) Almost no side effects from prescribed asthma treatment
6) No limits for full participation in physical activities in life
7) No emergency visit to hospital for asthma attack
8) Minimal or no side effects from their asthma medications
9) No or minimal use of quick relief medication
Patients need to be made aware that if they are not achieving these results from their treatment they need to talk to their treating doctor as it may need some changes. They have right to get correct treatment to achieve these goals given by GINA (Global Initiative for Asthma) which is possible with modern inhaled therapy.