Ruling BJP pockets 8 posts while Muslim League and Congress win one each.
Women candidates outsmarted their male counterparts and ruled the election for posts of Chairmen of NMC’s Zonal Committees. As many as eight posts out of ten were bagged by the women. It is for the first time that the elections for posts of Chairmen of 10 Zone Committees were held simultaneously on a single day. The Thursday (April 30) election saw the Ruling Party (BJP) pocketing eight posts while Muslim League and Congress bagging one each. Out of the 10 Zones, the Mangalwari and Satranjipura Zones went to male candidates. Male candidate of Atal Bahadur Singh Group, an ally of Congress won from Mangalwari Zone while BJP Corporator emerged victorious from Satranjipura Zone.
The election for the posts of Chairmen commenced at 10 am and lasted till 5 pm on Thursday. The elections, held at Civil Lines Headquarters of Nagpur Municipal Corporation, were conducted in the presence of District Collector Abhishek Krishna.
The Ruling Party this time sidelined its old ally Shiv Sena and supported woman Corporator Sheetal Gharat, who was expelled from Shiv Sena, and made her the Chairperson. The turnaround left Shiv Sena red-faced with its leader Kishore Parate hinting breaking of alliance with BJP in NMC.
The newly elected Chairpersons are as follows:
1) Dharampeth Zone Varsha Jayant Thakre
2) Laxmi Nagar Zone Jayashri Mohan Wadibhasme
3) Dhantoli Zone Lata Vinod Yadav
4) Satranjipura Zone Ramdas Pandurang Guddhe
5) Nehru Nagar Zone Manisha Sunil Kothe
6) Gandhibagh Zone Prabha Ramesh Jagnade
7) Mangalwari Zone Raju Vasudevrao Thool
8) Ashinagar Zone Ishrat Nahid Mohd Jalil
9) Hanuman Nagar Zone Sarika Sunil Nandurkar
10) Lakadganj Zone Sheetal Gangadhar Gharat
All the newly elected Chairpersons and Chairmen were felicitated by Mayor Pravin Datke, Deputy Mayor Munna Pokulwar, Ruling Party Leader Dayashankar Tiwari and others.
Rajeev Ranjan Kushwaha(rajeev.nagpurtoday@