Published On : Fri, Oct 24th, 2014

Two Saw Mills, two shops turned to ashes in fire; material of lakhs of rupees gutted

Representational Pic

Nagpur: Where most Nagpurians were busy celebrating the Festival of Lights, Fire Department officials were busy tacking the flames caused by the fire-crackers lighted to celebrate the festival on Thursday. Three fire incidents were registered in the city where two Saw Mills and two shops were burned to ashes while material worth lakhs of rupees was gutted.

The first fire incident took place at around 4 am on Friday when a rocket caused fire in two saw mills namely Shakti Sale Company and Girnar Timber Mart. Police informed that nearby residents of the shops noticed flames coming out of both the companies at around 4 am on Friday. They informed Piyush Patel, Director of Shakti Sale Company and Babubhai Patel, Director of Girnar Timber Mart about the incident. Piyush and Babubhai informed Fire Department after which 10 fire tenders were dispatched for the task. But before the fire tender reached the scene, flames had already turned massive and the shops had turned to ashes. Fire officials controlled the flames but it caused loss of lakhs of rupees to both Piyush and Babubhai.

The second incident took place in a Saree Centre in Gandhibagh Cotton Market, near Nanga Putla. The owner Sanjay Khurana had put diyas in his shop ‘Sansar Saree Centre’ as part of Diwali celebrations. On Thursday, Sanjay performed puja before closing down his shop. He kept the lighting diya in the puja area and left for his house. A mouse somehow managed to snatch diya’s cotton that was lit. It touched the saree and soon every saree in the shop was put on flames. Sanjay Khurana received the news about this fire incident at around 4 am on Friday. He immediately rushed to the scene and informed Fire Department. Three-four fire tenders reached the scene and controlled the fire in no time. But, most of the sarees and other dress materials were gutted causing loss of lakhs of rupees.

The third incident took place in a cotton shop in Prem Nagar, Naya Pura on Thursday. According to fire officials, Mohd Sameer Mohd Shabbir owns a cotton shop in Prem Nagar. On Thursday, flames from a burning fire cracker fell in the shop. As cotton was stacked in abundance in the shop, it immediately caught fire. And within no time, the shop was on fire. The incident took place at around 11 pm. A fire tender was dispatched for task and it successfully controlled the flames.