Oops! It appears that you have disabled your Javascript. In order for you to see this page as it is meant to appear, we ask that you please re-enable your Javascript!
    | | Contact: 8407908145 |
    Published On : Thu, Mar 28th, 2019

    Toxic Holi colours may render some revellers blind partially: GMCH

    GMCH, Nagpur

    Nagpur: The apathy of district administration in implementing the norms set to curb flooding of chemical colours during Holi revelry this year may cost some revellers eyesight.

    Out of 25 persons referred to Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH), five persons may go blind partially owing to chemical colours used during Holi, revealed Dr Ashok Madan, HOD Eye Department GMCH to Nagpur Today.

    “Earlier, Holi was played with natural colours, extracted from flowers, which had a soothing effect on the skin. The colours available in the market today, on the other hand, contain toxic chemicals which have not been certified as fit for our skin and eyes. The dry coloured powder, gulal, contain toxic chemicals like lead oxide, copper sulphate, heavy metals, acids and powdered glass. When put in the eye, it is more harmful than acids,” said the HOD.

    He further continued, “If put in the eye, all these chemicals can cause allergic reactions, eye irritation, and even blindness. In case of irritation or redness persists beyond a few hours, one should take medical help.”

    Out of 25 patients who came for eye-check-up, five were severely affected by the chemical colours, said the HOD and added, “Five patients will surely lose about 50-70% of their vision. The department had asked them to admit in the hospital. However they did not heed our request. If they will not take proper precaution and medicines their conditions could worsen.”

    By Shubham Nagdeve


    Stay Updated : Download Our App
    Mo. 8407908145