| | Contact: 8407908145 |
    Published On : Sat, Jun 24th, 2017
    Latest News | By Nagpur Today Nagpur News

    State to complete NMC’s 24X7 water supply scheme, other JNNURM projects

    JNNURM
    Nagpur: In a major move, Maharashtra Government has decided to complete 18 projects approved under Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) by the previous UPA Government at Centre. The Central Government has not provided grants to these projects in full. Most of the projects relate to water supply and drainage. This will pave way for completion of ambitious 24 x 7 water supply project of Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) and also in creating water network in undeveloped layouts by Nagpur Improvement Trust (NIT).

    The State Cabinet has decided to release pending dues from its kitty to 18 projects in the state including two ambitious projects in Nagpur. The JNNURM scheme was launched by the Congress led UPA Government and the initial phase of the scheme ended in 2014. However, the BJP led Government had refused to release funds to complete all ongoing projects sanctioned under JNNURM. Now the State Cabinet has decided to provide 80 percent fund to the 18 projects which did not receive grants from Central Government. The rest 20 percent will be spent by local body.

    The JNNURM projects include underground drainage scheme phase 2 in Thane and Nashik, Nagpur’s 24X7 water supply scheme, and water supply and sewage disposal schemes in several other cities. Ruling Party Leader Sandip Joshi welcomed the decision of State Government of releasing pending dues under JNNURM. He said that around Rs 162 crore were pending with the Central and State Government under this ambitious scheme.

    The State Government had released Rs 95 crore and Rs 15 crore for completing the pending works. Now, this decision will also help civic body in securing pending dues of Rs 52 crore. This decision will expedite the process to complete ambitious 24 x 7 water supply project in the city. The Central Government had directed State Government to complete these pending projects from their own resources. The Central Government had termed the projects sanctioned during transition period as “non-sanctioned.”

    Stay Updated : Download Our App
    Mo. 8407908145