Published On : Mon, Jun 1st, 2015

Short-circuit causes fire in strong room of State Bank of India, Jaiprakash Nagar

IMG-20150601-WA0053Nagpur: Short-circuit in the electric wires caused a fire in the strong room of State Bank of India, Jaiprakash Nagar on June 1, 2015.

According to police and fire-department personnel, a short-circuit in the electric wires of the strong room in State Bank of India, Jaiprakash Nagar caused a fire on June 1, 2015. However, within 10 minutes of receipt of information, the Fire Department personnel reached the spot. After fighting the fire for half an hour, the fire was extinguished.

According to some of the Fire Department personnel, the fire in the Strong room was not so intense but the smoke had engulfed the entire room causing difficulties in extinguishing the fire.

The Sonegaon Police is investigating the cause of fire.

IMG-20150601-WA0079

Fire Department personnel not provided with masks

In what could be called as a sheer case of corner cutting, a surprising fact has come to fore. Some of the fire department personnel alleged that none of the fire-stations in Nagpur has fire masks. Fire Mask is an emergency hood mask which protects against fire toxic smoke. The Fire Department personnel need this mask so that they do not get asphyxiated while fighting fire. They alleged that Nagpur Municipal Corporation has not provided these masks. These personnel claimed that they have to often tie a hand-kerchief on the nose while fighting the fire so that they do not have to inhale poisonous or toxic fumes. They claimed that they often have to risk their lives to douse the flames.

IMG-20150601-WA0080