The Opposition forcefully demanded a detailed discussion on the matter as several present and former ministers, MPs, and MLAs were either booked by the police or the courts have ordered filing of offences against them in massive financial irregularities and favouritism by misusing their powers. The cornered Ruling Party adamantly refused any discussion on the crucial issue and thus provoking the outraged Opposition members to resort to utter chaos, and finally, the Deputy Speaker adjourning the House for the entire day. But, there is always a tomorrow.
The Vidhan Sabha on Monday (December 16) witnessed a “Great Escape” by Maharashtra Government after the aggressive Opposition members pushed the Ruling Party to the wall on the issue of tainted ministers. The Opposition forcefully demanded a detailed discussion on the matter as several present and former ministers, MPs, and MLAs were either booked by the police or the courts have ordered filing of offences against them in massive financial irregularities and favouritism by misusing their powers. The cornered Ruling Party adamantly refused any discussion on the crucial issue and thus provoking the outraged Opposition members to resort to utter chaos, and finally, the Deputy Speaker adjourning the House for the entire day. And thus paving the way for Ruling Party to have a “Great Escape.”
The following present and former Union and State ministers, MPs, and MLAs were either booked by the police or the courts have ordered filing of offences against them for:
1) The District Court ordered filing of offences against following ministers for embezzlement of Rs 3.18 crore by preparing bogus documents while handing over Jalgaon Dudh Utpadak Sangh (Jalgaon Milk Producers’ Union) to Rashtriya Dudh Vikas Mahamandal (National Dairy Development Board) and appointing an Administrator.
• Union Minister Sushilkumar Shinde
• Industries Minister Narayan Rane
• Agriculture Minister Radhakrushna Vikhe Patil
• Animal Husbandry, Dairy Development and Fisheries Minister Madhukar Chavan
• Employment Guarantee Minister Nitin Raut
• The then Minister Haji Anees Ahmed
2) Adarsh Scam: Bombay High Court’s harshly worded strictures against former Chief Minister Ashok Chavan and Union Minister Sushilkumar Shinde for not taking action in the Adarsh Scam.
3) Massive irregularities and fraud to the tune of crores of rupees in the State Apext Co-operative Bank (Maharashtra State Co-operative Bank) and subsequent appointment of Administrator (Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar’s shares are in the bank).
4) Bombay High Court and Supreme Court’s orders to police to file offence against Public Works Department Minister Chhagan Bhujbal for his involvement in MET Institute donation racket.
5) Bombay High Court’s orders to Economic Offences Wing to conduct investigation into disproportionate assets and grabbing thousands of acres of land by floating 125 bogus companies by Water Resources Minister Sunil Tatkare after the Police Commissioner did not take any cognizance on the complaint filed by BJP leader Kirit Somayya against Tatkare.
6) Offences filed against State Excise Duty Minister Ganesh Naik when he was Labour Minister in the sale of a factory’s land and demolition of illegally built Glass House in Navi Mumbai after court orders. Similarly, offence filed against Naik for his involvement in financial irregularities in Kalva-Belapur Co-operative Bank.
7) Court’s order on registering an offence against Food and Civil Supplies Minister Anil Deshmukh for stalling action against a ration shop that was distributing foodgrains illegally and distribution of 54 lakh bogus ration cards in State.
8) Court’s order to register offences against School Education Minister Rajendra Darda and Vijay Darda, MP, for their role in illegally allotting coal mining.
9) Yavatmal Court has issued orders to file offence against Social Justice Minister Shivajirao Moghe for taking money by assuring setting up of Ashram Shalas for backward class people and not sanctioning the Ashram Shalas and even not returning the money. Much has also been accused of his role in the irregularities in scholarship amounts for backward class students.
10) Offence registered against former minister Gulabrao Devkar on the issue of Jalgaon Housing Complex scam.
11) No police action till today against Minister of State for Finance Rajendra Mulak and MLA Raosaheb Shekhawat after seizure of Rs 1 crore in Amravati during elections of Amravati Municipal Corporation.
12) No arrest of MLA Krupashankar Singh in disproportionate assets case and recovery of 100-200 live cartridges from his residence despite registering of criminal offence against him and subsequent Bombay High Court strictures.
13) An offence registered against the then minister Dharmarao Atram in the hunting of a deer in Baramati area violating the Wildlife Protection Act.
14) Why no arrest of Saoner MLA Sunil Kedar even after finding him guilty in the Nagpur Central Cooperative Bank scam?
15) Bombay High Court, after passing strictures, has ordered the filing of an offense against Higher and Technical Education Minister Rajesh Tope after exposure of mismanagement and utter lack of facilities by students, parents and Government machineries in his educational institute in Navi Mumbai. Tope has also been accused of grabbing lands of Dalits in Jalna District.
• Ministers, former ministers implicated by Sawant Commission for corruption:
16) Offence registered against MLA and the then minister Sureshdada Jain for scam in the Housing Complex in Jalgaon.
17) Murder offence against Padamsingh Patil in the killing of father of MLA Omraje Nimbalkar.
18) Medical Education Minister Vijaykumar Gavit.
19) Nawab Malik, the then Minister of State for Housing.
The Opposition, with the list of tainted Ministers, former ministers, MPs, MLAs, was in battle-ready gear. However, the adjournment of Vidhan Sabha for the entire day, watered down their plan. But, there is always a tomorrow.
The Opposition Leader Eknathrao Khadse, after the Vidhan Sabha was adjourned for the day, commented that the Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan is not taking any action against the tainted ministers despite filing of offences by police and the court orders in this connection.
The Maharashtra Unit BJP President and South-West Nagpur MLA Devendra Fadnavis remarked, “Chavan’s Cabinet is full of corrupt ministers. Is the Chief Minister facing any pressure for not acting against the ministers?”
NCP Spokesman Nawab Malik said the Opposition is finding excuses for not working in the House.