“Navdanya Sundal” means nine kinds of lentils (or beans) mixed together to make sundal (a kind of south indian salad). You can use any variety of lentils viz.
Karamani (Red chowli, Thatta Pyir, Cowpeas, Black-eyed peas, Field Peas)
Chana dal (Bengal Gram)
Black chana (Black Chikpeas)
Green chana (Green Chikpeas)
Matki (Moth Beans)
Kabuli chana (Chikpeas)
Peanut (Groundnut, Nilakadalai)
White watana (White Peas)
Green Watana (Green Peas)
1. Take any nine varieties of lentils and soak in water for 5-6 hours.
2. Directly cook the same in water with turmeric powder and salt. Drain the excess water.
3. Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a kadai, add 1 tsp mustard seeds, urid dal, broken red chillies, curry leaves, hing powder (asafoetida).
4. Add the cooked lentils and saute for two minutes. Prasad is ready.
5. Finish the sundal in one of the following ways.
You can garnish with fresh grated coconut.
Crush fresh coconut, green chilli, a small piece of ginger and little cumin seeds in the mixer and add to this.
You can also add chilli powder.