Nagpur: Director General of Police Praveen Dixit addressed the media in the city on October 6, 2015. To begin with he claimed that he is happy to have got an opportunity to visit the city, where once he was a Commissioner of Police. He reestablished the acquaintance with the media personnel and claimed that the media of the city have always worked together with the police in maintaining law and order in the city. He quipped that often the media personnel reach the scene of crime even before the police could reach the spot. He expressed his good wishes to the media personnel.
Joint Commissioner of Police Rajwardhan, Additional Commissioner of Police Shrikant Tarwade accompanied the Director General of Police Praveen Dixit in the press meet.
He elaborated the challenges and changes that he intends to incorporate after taking charge of the Director General of Police.
- He claimed that many people come forward to lodge complaints. It is the duty of the police officials to register the cases, undertake a detailed impartial investigation into the matter and finally ensure the convictions in the court. He added that one of the priorities is that he is going to incorporate scientific and technical skills and mechanisms to ensure proper investigations.
- He has conveyed to all the police personnel to work with people or citizen centric attitude. He opined that the police personnel encounter various issues like SC/ST issues, women, children, and other such sensitive issues. He has issued directives to have a citizen-centric attitude while dealing with these problems.
- DGP Praveen Dixit claimed that he has reintroduced the Police-Mitra system all over the State. He further said that wherever he visited after taking charge, he called for a meeting of all the former Police-Mitras and personnel who have helped the police. Even in Nagpur, he had a meeting with the Police Mitras and has solicited their cooperation in maintaining law and order in the city. It is because of the help and cooperation of the prominent citizens that the police have been able to maintain peace in the city. He said that let us all work together and make the Police-Mitra system work in maintaining law and order in the city so that it becomes exemplary and other states follow suit.
- While elaborating about the cooperation that the police personnel received after gaining trust and confidence of citizens is worth mentioning. He claimed that before coming to Nagpur, he had visited Gadchiroli and had an informal chat with the police personnel there. He said that the policemen on duty in Gadchiroli have helped the citizens in many other ways apart from maintaining law and order, like education, health, getting caste certificates and others needs which the local citizens fail to obtain for want of proper guidance.
He related about an incident in Jalalghata in Maharashtra-Chhattisgarh border where the formidable Force-16 is carrying out Anti-Naxal operations. He said that a Jawan of the Force-16 related an incident to the DGP, where he met a lady who was suffering from some medical disorder and could not get medical aid because of finances and lack of communication skills in explaining her problems to the Doctors. The Jawan not only helped her to reach the hospital but explained her problem to the Doctor. The Jawan was told by the Doctor that she is in urgent need of Blood. The Jawan came back to his battalion and took two more friends of his to the hospital. There these three Jawans donated blood and the doctors where able to save the life of the woman.
This self-less act by the Jawans helped the Force-16 after some months. They were on a search operation for Naxals when the woman (they had saved) along with other men and woman came forward and stopped the entire contingent and told them not to go on that route since the Naxals had planted some kind of explosives and are waiting for them. This information helped the Force-16 to circumvent the place and apart from escaping danger but were able to apprehend some Naxals too. He said that winning the trust and cooperation of the citizens help the police in maintaining law and order.
DGP answers queries of media-personnel
- To a question about how some goons with political clout are terrorizing the citizens and the police has failed to register a case against the goons and take preventive action to protect the citizens of the area, DGP Dixit claimed that action will be initiated against such police personnel after investigation in the matter.
- To query on how the convictions rate are less because of the poor arguments made by Police Prosecutors, the DGP said that he had a long conversation with the Director of Prosecution who will be taking adequate steps to enhance the rate of conviction.
- Replying to a query on what new steps is he initiating to prevent crime and to aid in investigations, DGP Dixit said that the Police Mitras will work closely with the police personnel to maintain law and order. They will have powers to take action against the erring citizens or goons.
- While answering to a query as to who will be appointing these Police Mitras and what are the qualifications and criterion to become the Police Mitras, he said that the In-Charge Police Inspector of that jurisdiction will be appointing the Police Mitras. However, some media-personnel pointed out that on many occasions, the antecedents of the Police Mitras were of dubious character and that they were found to be involved in many anti-social activities, he said that this time, they will be investigating the antecedents of the Police Mitras before appointing them.
- To another query about the increasing fundamentalism and religious radical movements, he said that the internet is playing a big role in propagating the radical movements through whatsapp and facebook. He said that he is working with some cyber-experts to formulate some mechanism which will help in educating and preventing the youth from getting involved in such acts. Often the youth have to be explained what is right and what is wrong.
- While answering to a query on the rising cases of Economic offences, he said that the police is trying to establish a mechanism by which all new financial organizations are monitored so that they could be prevented before they manage to dupe people.