Nagpur: Despite the draconian provisions of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act, 1994 (PC & PNDT Act), Radiologists all over India have been extremely co-operative in following the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act, with the noble intention of helping to improve the dwindling sex-ratio in the country. However, at regular intervals, many honest Radiologists, who did not have even remote connection with sex- determination, have been victimized under the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act for minor clerical errors. In continuation of the harassments, the ‘Indian Radiological & Imaging Association’ (IRIA) has decided for agitation by suspending all Ultrasound services till justice is served.
Under the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act, non uniform implementation have resulted in sealing of many ultrasound machines depriving Radiologists of their livelihood and having to face criminal proceedings in court on minor clerical mistakes. It is becoming impossible for Radiologists to continue practicing with the morbid fear of unfair prosecution under Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act. The healthcare in India is primarily dependent upon small and medium-sized private medical set-ups, since Government healthcare facilities are grossly inadequate. Despite that, if the government officials continue to harass honest Radiologists, then Radiologists have no option but to stop practicing.
Why should an honest Radiologist face a jail term for no fault of his?
Since the innocent Radiologists are being continuously harassed by the appropriate authorities for minor clerical mistakes, which are being considered equal to sex determination, therefore, it has been decided that if these harassments are not stopped, then the members of IRIA will be constrained to go on all India indefinite agitation from September 1, 2016.
Programme of Agitation
- All the modalities will be shut down on September 1, 2016 throughout the country.
- Subsequently from September 2, 2016 there would be indefinite stoppage of all Ultra-sonography throughout the country till solution of our problems and justice is served.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India and other Government bodies that following demands, which are harassing the Radiologist extremely should be taken care of immediately.
- Clerical errors in Form F/not wearing of apron/non display of notice board/not keeping hand book on Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act should not be equated with Sex Determination and Criminal offence.
- Punishment should be graded (in line with the offence).
- There should standardize implementation of Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act throughout the country.
- Ultrasound machines should not be sealed and medical qualification should not be cancelled on minor clerical errors.
- The Gazette Notification dated June 5, 2012 regarding restriction to Radiologists for visiting more than two Ultrasound Centers in a district/intimation of change of Radiologist and Equipment one month in advance should be de-notified or suitably amended.
- Renewal of Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act Registration should not be denied until and unless case is proved in the court of law.
The suspension of Ultrasound services throughout the country will continue until all our demands are met, and if need be, all the Radiologists of the country will suspend their all Radiological services indefinitely.
Indian Radiological and Imaging Association Dr. O.P. Bansal, Secretary General of Indian Radiological and Imaging Association Dr. Pramod Lonikar and National Coordinator PNDT Dr Jignesh Thakker informed this in a press note.