Nagpur: The ruling dispensation in Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) has asserted that the New Tax System approved in the General Body Meeting on Wednesday will safeguard the interests of general public and will provide great relief to tax payers, as well.
Highlights of New Tax System:
• The General Body Meeting nullified the 31 percent tax hike as proposed by State Government. Instead, maximum 30 percent tax hike was approved. Five percent Sewerage Benefit Tax was proposed by State Government which was reduced to 1 percent. Similarly, the proposed 5 percent Water Benefit Tax was reduced to 1 percent and the Road Tax was reduced to 1 percent from five percent proposed by State Government. This way a total of 13 percent tax relief was provided to the citizens.
• The 40 percent water tax levied on those citizens who had no metered water connections despite having pipeline in the vicinity of 200 metres has been reduced to 15 percent.
• The poor and dejected residential and non-residential tenants who have been facing a lot of difficulties have been provided with enormous relief with the approval of New Tax System.
• The House also approved a proposal to give three-year marginal rebate to property owners who have installed solar power system, sewage treatment plant, rainwater harvesting or prepare organic fertilizers on their properties.
Apart from these contentious relief measures in the New Tax System, several other aspects have been included in the System that will go a long way in providing relief to common people in general and tax payers in particular.
– Rajeev ranjan kushwaha (rajeev.nagpurto