The NMC’s satellite eye revealed the facts and figures comprehensively hitherto unknown to most of the Nagpur or Orange City or the Second Capital City citizens. The satellite survey is the brainchild of NMC’s Standing Committee Chairman Avinash Thakre.
Nagpur News: The Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC), unbelievably went to space, and in a venture of sorts, surveyed Nagpur city with the help of the eagle-eyed satellites. The Mission: Find out the facts and figures on the Property Tax front!! The satellite survey is the brainchild of NMC’s Standing Committee Chairman Avinash Thakre.
It may be recalled the NMC is facing a daunting task to fill its coffers in order to accomplish dozens of missions in the election atmosphere as Lok Sabha and Assembly elections are drawing nearer and nearer. Most importantly, Avinash Thakre’s satellite venture follows after the NMC turned itself the shooting target of media blitz vis-à-vis property tax over scams, scandals, conspiracies, cheating , robbing of the most crucial revenue source by various means.Now the past is past. The move is: Better late than never!!
The NMC’s satellite eye revealed the facts and figures comprehensively hitherto unknown to most of the Nagpur or Orange City or the Second Capital City citizens. Following are the satellite-eyesight facts and figures:
1) Nagpur consists of a total 22,74,45,000 square feet of land.
2) Out of which, open plots with fully constructed stand at 1057311716 square feet, and/ or under construction land shows the figure of 1213133659 square feet.
3) Assuming the the figures correct, then NMC should recover the Property Tax amounting to Rs 242 crore
4) For fiscal 2013-14, the Demand Notes should be generated for Rs 300 crore out of which Rs 111 crore for current year and Rs 189 crore as arrears
5) Property Tax of Rs 11 crore is pending against MIHAN for current year
6) 171 Government properties were assessed. Property Tax to the tune of Rs 25136890 has been assessed. Possible the figure will rise to Rs 50 crore after Government sanction.
7) NMC has got Government Assessor. A joint meeting of NMC Commissioner, Standing Committee Chairman and Town Planning Department has been called next week.
8) Data entry of last year of 10,000 properties has been made. The NMC will receive a revenue of Rs 17 crore. Last year new 5000 properties were found from which Demand Notes of Rs 10 crore would be generated.
9) Efforts will be made to complete the recovery target by December end of this year. A team has been formed to recover the Property Tax. A target for recovering Rs 225 crore including Rs 12 crore from mobile towers has been set. At present, the number of property owners who are paying Rs 200 stands at 54436, for Rs 200-500 the figure of owners tally 78282, Rs 500-1000: 118775, from Rs 1000 to Rs 5000: 187351, from Rs 5000 to Rs 10000: 19044, from Rs 10000 to Rs 1,00,000: 9712, and more than Rs 1,00, 000: 825. The figures consist of 408414 residents, business: 52308, Mixed: 7570, and open 2377 properties.
10) Online process for paying Property Tax is going on. Additional computer operators have been provided to Property Tax Department. The printing of Demand Note has been going on and would be distributed soon.
The all-important information with comprehensive facts and figures have been provided by the computer savvy Standing Committee Chairman Avinash Thakre. The satellite survey idea is in Thakre’s gray area of his brain.
Notwithstanding the excellent move by NMC, the satellite eye will not rein in the fraudsters in human shape. The taming of the tricksters in the Property Tax Departnment needs heavy hands and the satellite could only provide an eagle eye and not the heavy hands. The human has heavy hands. And he must use them to crush the ugly heads in the Property Tax Department.