Nagpur: Nagpur Police Commissioner Dr K Venkatesham may be transferred from the city this month, reliable sources informed. Sources added that Venkatesham was to be shifted soon after the winter session of state legislature which ended here last month, however, the orders were put on hold for some reasons. With this news doing the round, speculations were on as to who would be the next police chief in the city.
According to the information received from reliable sources Venkatasham is likely to be transferred towards the end of January. Sources said that the name of Dr Bhushan Kumar Upadhaya has primarily surfaced to serve the post. Besides, the names of Atulchandra Kulkarni, Prabhat Kumar, Sanjay Saxena, Rajendra Singh, Prashant Burade along with woman officers Rashmi Shukla and Archana Tyagi were also being considered to replace Venkatesham.
Dr Venkatesham has had a commendable line of duty during his tenure in Nagpur so far. He has come up with many schemes for the improvising police functioning. Here the few to mention,
– Started beat system for basic policing
– Taken up schemes for beautification of police stations
– Made commendable efforts to arrange funds
– Made the data readily available to neighbouring states under coordination criminal programme. Also took data of the criminals there.
– Boosted smart policing, set up ultramodern cyber lab
– Interlinked all police stations through CCTNS and pushed forward project to install CCTVs
– Formed property cell to take on land mafia
– Initiated MCOCA, MPDA and Externment against dreaded criminals
– Formed women’s cell for paying special attention to crime against women
– Bharosa cell to attend to family disputes, which was also appreciated by the Chief Minister.
– Founded N Cops to strike better coordination between police and citizens
– Organiser training programmes through motivators
– Pushed the residential schemes for policemen
– Managed the arrangement during winter session of state legislature without calling force from outside.
By Ravikant Kamble