Mob Lynching: Angry Residents Gherao CP’s Office; Demand Justice
Angry residents of Vasantrao Naik Slum outside the CP’s office
Nagpur News: Situation is said to be tense in Civil Lines around CP’s office as 300 to 400 people are staging a dharna and are refusing to leave. The belligerent residents of Vasantrao Naik slum are angered with the fact that despite repeated complaints, nothing was done about the vandalism and terror spread by Sheikh Akram and his gang. Baffling is the fact that a gambling den was running under the nose of the Sitabuldi Police station and in spite of repeated complaints, nothing was done.
Suspended Police Inspector of Sitabuldi Police Station, Prakash Jadhav
Pressure is increasing on the police with every passing moment. The signs of which were seen today as the PI of Sitabuldi, Prakash Jadhav got suspended. 300 to 400 irate residents of the slum staged a dharna at the CP’s office The security there managed to stop the mob from entering the premises. After long arguments, a group of 20 among the mob were allowed to meet the Joint CP.
Excerpts from the letter to the CP are as follows:
Complainant: Vasantrao Naik Sum residents, Dharampeth, Nagpur.
Subject: Strict action to be taken against the offender and his accomplices.
Matter: It is humbly requested that in pertinence to the incident that took place on 9th October 2012, strict action should be taken against Bhuru Akram Sheikh and his 15 – 20 accomplices. Bhuru Akram Sheikh and his gang have been terrorising the residents since the past 10 years. These are the complaints and accusations:
- Extorting money from the residents and being beaten up if not given.
- Running a gambling den in the slum.
- Exploiting women and forcefully raping them.
- Forcing dwellers to vacate their hutments and capturing it thereafter.
- Selling illicit liquor in the slum.
- After getting drunk, looting innocent residents.
- Severely humiliating and beating up women.
- Dousing lighted cigarettes on victims, both men and women, after beating them up.
- Children living in the slum study at a nearby school. Bhuru and his men question and threaten the children.
- People from other parts of the city are brought to the slum and are beaten up.
- Scaring and threatening women by showing them guns and revolvers.
- After a report is filed against Bhuru, the Sitabuldi police doesn’t do anything, instead they disclose the name of the complainant to Bhuru and eventually gets beaten up.
- The DB squad of Sitabuldi police station and other departments and extort money (hafta vasuli) from Bhuru, sit and drink and scare the residents.
- Along with Bhuru there is a gang of 15 who support Bhuru in his activities and terrorize the residents.
- The accomplices of Bhuru should also be booked
- Policemen who support Bhuru in his activities should also be caught and strict action should be taken against them.
- The accused should be caught and strict action should be taken against the vandals. The residents of the slum are ready to fully co-operate with the Police.
- The investigations should be handed over to the CID because the reason for this situation is the Sitabuldi Police Station.
- A police chowki should be made inside the slum so that these kind of incidents should not occur in the future.
- It is requested that the matter should be looked into and justice should be provided.
A police officer seen filing complaints in front of the CP’s office
Home Minister R.R Patil has spoken to the CP and told him to take individual complaints from the residents. Outside the CP office’s premises, cops were seen taking complaints.
Vasantrao Naik slum