Nagpur: A major fire broke out in an almond godown situated in Depti Signal area of Kalamna in the wee hours of Tuesday. The fire reportedly caused loss in lakhs. However, no casualties were reported. Thick smoke billowing from the burning godown engulfed the nearby area triggering panic among residents. A number of fire tenders were despatched to the spot and the flames were brought under control after hours of fire fighting under the guidance of Chief Fire Officer Rajendra Uchke. It is learnt four truck load of almonds were stored in the godown apart from a large stock of betel nuts. Short circuit is being suspected to be cause of fire.
According to Fire Brigade sources, the fire broke out in the godown of Anil Traders run by almond trader named Deepubhai. Four truck load of almonds was reportedly stored in the godown apart from a stock of betel nuts. It is learnt that the fire started around 3.30 am on Tuesday and thick smoke engulfed the nearby area. As the fire was noticed by some residents, Fire Brigade was alerted. A team of firefighters led by Chief Fire Officer Rajendra Uchke rushed to the spot along with 10 fire tenders.
However, by the time firefighters started fire dousing exercise, a major stock of almonds and betel nuts was devoured by the flames causing loss to the tune of lakhs of rupees. By 10.30 am, the fire was brought under control to a large extent. However, the flames were not doused totally till 1 pm.
According to Chief Fire Officer Rajendra Uchke, the godown had neither measures in place to fight a fire nor the owner procured NOC. It means the owner could face action in accordance with the laid down rules. It would also be investigated as to how the godown, coming under NIT jurisdiction, was allowed to function without NOC from Fire Brigade. The Kalamna area is hub of market with a number of godowns. Most of the godown owners have not procured NOC from Fire Brigade. Such owners would also face action, Uchke stated.