Oops! It appears that you have disabled your Javascript. In order for you to see this page as it is meant to appear, we ask that you please re-enable your Javascript!
    | | Contact: 8407908145 |
    Published On : Wed, Dec 28th, 2016

    Major demolition drive gets underway at Cotton Market Square for Metro Station

    encroachment-at-cotton-market9

    Nagpur: In a major drive, Nagpur Municipal Corporation and Nagpur Metro Rail Corporation jointly undertook a drive to demolish all temporary and permanent structures at Cotton Market Square (South Side) on December 28, 2016 to create space for building the Metro Rail Station which is slated to come up on that spot.

    All the temporary and permanent structures after the Hotel Vrandavan and the building which hosts Arya Chanakya Consultancy Private Limited to the Cotton Market Square extending to a spot near the Loha Pul was demolished.

    Many cheap eateries, bars and restaurants did a brisk business at the spot for many years.

    The Metro’s east-west line will cross the railway line bisecting the city at Loha Pul, Sitabuldi. The metro station at the railway station will come up on the east side towards Santra Market. The metro’s route will takes a steep turn from Central Avenue towards Santra Market crossing and then the route will take another steep turn towards Loha Pul crossing Cotton Market. The NMRCL is in possession of 77% of the land required for the project and will soon be acquiring the rest 23% (3.50 hectares) from private landowners.

    A heavy posse of police personnel, were deployed at the spot to prevent any opposition to the demolition of the shops and eateries at the spot. While many owners knew of the possible demolition and were given notice to vacate the premises well in advance, many small time eateries and shopkeepers claimed that they were not given advance notice about the would be demolition. They claimed that they have suffered losses.

    encroachment-at-cotton-market11
    encroachment-at-cotton-market10
    encroachment-at-cotton-market9
    encroachment-at-cotton-market5
    encroachment-at-cotton-market4
    encroachment-at-cotton-market3
    encroachment-at-cotton-market2
    encroachment-at-cotton-market12
    encroachment-at-cotton-market1
    encroachment-at-cotton-market6
    encroachment-at-cotton-market7
    encroachment-at-cotton-market8

    Pics by Shubham Kamble


    Stay Updated : Download Our App
    Mo. 8407908145