Nagpur: The ambitious Nagpur Metro Rail Project, popularly called “Majhi Metro” is taking shape by leaps and bounds. The construction is in full swing at various sites. And in order to update the citizens on the progress of the Metro Rail, the authorities of Nagpur Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (NMRCL) arranged a site visit of journalists on Friday. After the visits to different sites, the Managing Director of NMRCL Brujesh Dixit told the media persons that a General Consultant for Nagpur Metro has been appointed and a Consortium System has been established for it. This Consortium System, now onwards, will oversee all the works connected to the project. The Consortium System comprises French companies Sistra and Aegis, RITES the Indian Railway’s Engineering Company and the US company Acom.
Dixit further said that till now a private firm was looking after the construction work but now it will be overseen by Consortium System of the General Consultant. This will ensure speedy completion of the project.
“A building plan of the project has been prepared which will be implemented by Mumbai-based Odianpro Company. The construction is going on in full swing. At one site the testing of earth is going on and at the other, erection of pillars is being done.
The ground-level work from Khapri to Hotel Pride has almost been completed.
Similarly, construction of five pillars too is complete. A total of 271 pillars in the two-phase elevated Metro system will be built,” the Managing Director said and added that a target of erecting 18-20 pillars every month has been fixed apart from other related works.
The key highlights of Nagpur Metro Rail Project progress are as under:
- First Km. of At Grade Section construction completed: Letter of Intent was issued on 30/05/2015. This is 5.6 kms long section from Airport to MIHAN. Considering the size of the work in just about ten months one km stretch has been completed and ready for Track Laying.
- First Pier on wardha road: First Pier on Wardha Road was casted on 16th April. Presently 5 No. of piers are casted/constructed.On 28th November, 2015 work order for Viaduct was issued. Viaduct is being constructed from Pride Hotel to Munje Chowk overing a 6.5 kms.
- First Segment casting is completed at the JamthaCasting Yard: First Segment casting was completed on 10/05/2016 at the Jamtha Casting Yard. The Grade of Segment is M50 of length 3m. Width of segment at Top is 8.5m while the bottom width is 3.6m. Height (Depth) is 2m & total weight of one segment is Approx 37MT. Total 4 Nos. of segments have been casted.
- Safety First: Along with the speed of work safety is foremost for the NMRCL.Hard hat area has been separated. Barricades have been erected/arranged. Lights also have been put up for safety purposes. A security personnel with beacon lights stands at the property for further precautions. Traffic boards have also been erected for proper directions and ease of vehicle congestion.
- Colour Code: For proper identification and safety personnel have been given colour codes uniforms.
o White: NMRCL officers & Employees
o Green: Safety
o Violet: NCC
o Grey: RITES
o Orange: Labour
- First Pier of Ramjhula Crossing: There are 8 piers of Metro viaduct between two phases of Ramjhula. The Pier piling work for foundation of pier started on 30/05/2016 – 6 No. of piles are required for each pier, having diameter of 1.2 Mtrs.
- Realignment of Metro Station, Congress Nagar & Rahate Colony, over median proposed DP Road through Jail land. There is slight change in the alignment in this stretch. Now metro route will be on median of proposed D.P. Road in jail area. For this metro route geotechnical investigation has been restarted at central jail premises. This has enabled connectivity to Ajani Rly. Station which is very vital to both Metro & Rly. Passengers & citizens.
- Metro Bhavan: 60% of construction work is completed at Metro Bhavan i.e. new administrative building of NMRCL.