Malpua recipe is one of the special Holi sweet dishes among Indian recipes that is best served with rabri or rabdi.Learn how to make Rajasthani Mawa Malpua.
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 60 min
- Plain Flour – 1 cup (maida)
- Mawa – 1/2 cup (unsweetened khoya) a little less than half cup will also do
- Saunf powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – pinch
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Milk – 2 cups
- Ghee – 1/2 cup for frying (you can use oil also)
- Pistachios – fistful, sliced
- Almonds – 8-10, blanched, peeled and slivered
- Saffron – 7-8 strands
- For sugar syrup:
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Water – 1/3 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Saffron – 4 strands
- Bring the milk to a boil and simmer till it reduces to 1 1/2 cups. Turn off flame and allow to cool to luke warm temperature.
- In a bowl, add khoya and half of the boiled milk and mix till it is smooth. Add cardamom powder, saunf powder, sugar, salt and few strands of saffron and mix well. Add half of the flour and mix well till there are no lumps.
- Add the remaining flour and mix well. Slowly add the milk till it forms a smooth flowing batter as shown in the picture above. Keep mixing the mixture for 3-4 mts and set aside till you make the sugar syrup.
- To prepare sugar syrup, add sugar and water in a stainless steel vessel and allow the sugar to melt . Simmer the sugar syrup for 10-12 mts on low medium flame. Add cardamom powder and turn off heat. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a small vessel or pan on low medium flame for 3-4 mts. Pour a small ladle full of batter in the center of the pan without spreading it. The batter will spread on its own. Do not try to touch the pancake till it starts to turn golden along the edges. It will slowly get immersed in the ghee and cook on medium flame till the sides are golden brown.
- Flip it over and cook on medium flame for another 2-3 mts or till it turns golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to drain the Malpua and place it in the sugar syrup immediately. Fully immerse the Malpua in the sugar syrup and let it sit for half a minute. Remove with a slotted spoon such that the sugar syrup drains off the Malpua and then place it on a serving plate.
- At the time of serving, place malpua on a serving plate. Spoon some rabri on top of the malpua and garnish with chopped pistachios and almond slivers.
If more milk is required to make the malpua batter, do add more. Add milk as required for a flowing batter.
If the batter has become too thin, you add a few tbsps of flour to thicken it.
If making a large batch, use a wide heavy bottomed vessel and you can fry 5-6 malpuas at a time. You can use oil to deep fry the Malpuas.