Bengali meal simply cannot be complete without fish curry. Bengalis have a special knack of cooking fish with different spices and techniques. Be it the hilsa fish or rohu or bhetki, each fish is cooked differently and all of them taste equally delicious. Fish do pyaza is one of those delicious and mouthwatering fish recipes from the versatile Bengali cuisine.
Usually rohu fish is used for preparing this recipe. But you can try it with any fish of your choice. It is a simple recipe which is not very spicy and can be prepared without much fuss. As the name suggests, ‘do pyaza’ means two onions which actually signifies that the recipe requires almost double the quantity of onions campared to any regular fish curry. This makes the fish curry even more irresistible
Check out the recipe for fish do pyaza and try this easy Bengali fish recipe at home.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Rohu fish- 500gms
- Lemon juice- 1tsp
- Onion- 3 (sliced)
- Ginger-garlic paste- 2tsp
- Tomato puree- 2tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Vinegar- 1tsp
- Pepper powder- ½ tsp
- Garam masala- 1tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Mustard oil- 2tbsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Coriander leaves- 2tsp (for garnish)
- Clean and wash the fish fillets properly. Marinate the fish with lemon juice, turmeric powder and salt for 10-15 minutes.
- After that, heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan and fry the fish fillets for about 5 minutes on each side keeping the flame
- low until they turn golden brown.
- Once done, remove the fish from the pan and keep it aside.
- Now in the same pan, add some more oil and add the onions. Fry for about 3-4 minutes till they become translucent.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste, tomato puree and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, garam masala powder and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add water and salt.
- Mix well. Now add the fried fish fillets to the curry. Mix gently and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
- Once done, switch off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Fish do pyaza is ready to be served. Enjoy this delicious fish recipe with steamed rice.