Nagpur: Nagpur: A devastating fire broke out at Sandesh Dawa Bazaar building in Ganjipeth locality of the city and engulfed 200 medical shops out of 400. The fire broke out around midnight of Thursday due to short circuit. Medicines worth lakhs of rupees were destroyed in the inferno. However, no human casualties were reported.
Around 50 fire tenders were deployed to bring the fire under control. According to sources, the fire first broke out in a shop on first floor of the imposing building due to short circuit. Soon, the Fire Brigade was alerted but before the fire-fighters could reach the spot, the fire spread rapidly to second and third floors. Till the filing of this report, fire-fighters were not successful in dousing the leaping flames. As the shutters of the shops were closed, the fire-fighters had to break open for dousing the flames.
On being informed, Guardian Minister Chandrashekhar Bawankule visited the spot and took stock of the situation. He was accompanied by City BJP President and MLA Sudhakar Kohale and Corporator Dayashankar Tiwari.
Dayashankar Tiwari said the fire broke out at around 1 am and engulfed 200 shops in the building. The fire-fighters are trying their best to control fire. There was a short circuit in a shop which is the major reason, a fire official said.
The blaze reportedly engulfed medicines worth lakhs of rupees. The total loss is yet to be estimated. No casualties or injuries have been reported so far.