Devendra Gangadharrao Fadnavis needs no introduction. From a kid Swayamsevak of RSS, an ABVP activist, youngest Corporator, youngest Mayor of Nagpur and the youngest and the first BJP Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Devendra Fadnavis’ climb up the political ladder has been phenomenal.
“Nagpur’s gift to the country” as the Prime Minister Narendra Modi had said of him, Fadnavis is soft spoken with a very clean image, high energy and a hard worker.
Son of Jan Sangh and later BJP leader late Gangadharrao Fadnavis, Devendra ventured in politics at a young age when he joined Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad, the students’ wing of RSS, in 1989. At 22, he became a Corporator in the Nagpur Municipal Corporation and its youngest Mayor in 1997 at the age of 27. Fadnavis contested his first Assembly election in 1999 and emerged triumphant. There was no looking back as he won three subsequent Assembly elections. The fourth term from Nagpur South West seat saw him at the top post in Maharashtra Government.
One of the most articulate of top Maharashtra politicians, Fadnavis has remained untainted by accusations of corruption. In fact, Fadnavis is credited with pushing the previous Congress-NCP Government into a corner over the irrigation scam. A shining star in Nagpur and a simpleton as well, the Chief Minister-designate has been known to often ride Mumbai’s local trains and readily stands in queue to buy tickets. He calls his room in MLA Hostel his home in Mumbai. In Nagpur, he lives near Raosaheb Fadnavis Trikoni Park in Dharampeth. His wife Amruta is Branch Manager in Axis Bank and the illustrious couple have a daughter Divija, who too will be youngest occupant of Chief Minister’s official residence “Varsha” in Mumbai’s Malabar Hill area.
A voracious reader of books on energy, taxes and economics, Fadnavis has long list of education excellence at his command with meritorious academic track record.
The illustrious achievements:
• Degree of Law, Post Graduation in Business Management, and a Diploma in Methods and Techniques of Project Management from D.S.E. Berlin.
• Started political career in nineties at very young age. • Elected as a member in the Municipal Corporation of Nagpur for two consecutive terms, in 1992 and 1997.
• Second youngest Mayor in India and the youngest Mayor in Nagpur.
• First ‘Mayor in Council’ of the State of Maharashtra.
• Elected four times in a row from Nagpur constituency as MLA since 1999.
• Served on various committees of State Government namely – Estimates Committee; Standing Committee on Urban Development and Housing; Rules Committee; Public Undertaking Committee, Maharashtra Jeevan Pradhikaran; Joint Select Committee on Self Finance Schools and likewise.
• Analysis of the annual national budget is eagerly awaited for every year.
Awards & Recognitions:
• ‘Best Parliamentarian Award’ by Commonwealth Parliamentary Association.
• Elected as a Secretary of the Global Parliamentarian on habitat, and several awards in the fields of social, political, finance, debating etc.
• International Environmental Summit at Honolulu, USA (1999).
• U.S. National Conference of State Legislatures at Washington and Nashville, USA (2005).
• ‘Disaster Mitigation and Management in India’ at International summit organized by IDRC.
• UNESCO-WCDR at Davos, Switzerland (2006).
• ‘Natural Disasters Mitigation — Issues on Ecological and Social Risk’ at Global Environmental Change Congress at Beijing in China organized by WMO –ESSP (2006).
• Represented India in ASEM meeting of young political leaders from Asia & Europe at Copenhagen, Denmark (2007).
• Presented paper on ‘Energy Security Issues’ at New Generation Seminar organized by East- West Centre of U.S. Federal Government (2008).
• Member of High Level Delegation of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association to Australia, New Zealand and Singapore (2008).