Oops! It appears that you have disabled your Javascript. In order for you to see this page as it is meant to appear, we ask that you please re-enable your Javascript!
    | | Contact: 8407908145 |
    Published On : Fri, Aug 24th, 2018

    Ambitious Nag river beautification, rejuvenation work to start in Feb

    The much-awaited and delayed abatement project for beautification and rejuvenation of Nag River-a signature river of the city, is likely to be started from February 2019.Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) with liberal financial assistance from Japan International Cooperation Agency(JICA)will undertake this ambitious project.

    The issue of soft loan for the project has been sorted out as JICA has agreed to release soft loan of Rs 751.39 crore in a week.The total cost of the project is Rs 1252.33 crore and Central Government will release its 60 per cent share through soft loan while State Government and Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) will share remaining 40 per cent in ratio of 25:15 per cent.

    All the hurdles coming in the way of beautification of Nag River have been cleared in a crucial meeting held on Thursday in the New Delhi office of Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister for Road, Transport, Highways, WRD and River Rejuvenation.

    Nitin Gadkari, while talking to media persons at New Delhi,stated that the complete detailed project report (DPR) of the river will be prepared by December2018 end and project work will start in February.

    Ambassador of Japan to India Kenji Hiramatsu, senior officers of JICA,East Nagpur MLA Krishna Khopde, Central Nagpur MLA Vikas Kumbhare, Anil Diggikar, Principal Secretary of Environment Department, Ashwin Mudgal, Collector and NIT Chairman, and other senior officers also were present in the meeting. Japanese agency will provide soft loan of Rs 751.39 crore for the beautification project and Central Government will obtain guarantee of the loan. Gadkari has directed to complete the process of loan immediately.

    Ambassador of Japan Kenji Hiramatsu assured to provide loan within one week. Nag River originates from Ambazari lake’s overflow weir at the west of the Orange City and flows from the West to the East following natural slope of the landform to eventually join Kanhan River.

    The length of the river in the city limits is 17 kms. Gadkari instructed to complete the tender process and start work from February 2019. He said,“The water of Nag River is polluting Gosikhurd damand creating problems for the environment. Therefore, Nag River will be cleaned by installing Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) and treated water will be released to Mahage nco for thermal power generation.

    Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) is getting Rs 18 crore from supply of treated sewage water to thermal power stations.” Central Government has sanctioned this project on June 14, 2016. The total cost of the project is Rs 1252.33 crore. The Central Government will give 60 per cent amount while State Government will share 25 per cent(Rs 313 crore)amount and local body to share only 15 per cent (187.84) amount in this project. Nag River acts as a natural storm water drainage passage for major part of the city. Over the years, the river has been polluted due to ingress of sewage and industrial waste, washing of clothes and animals, indiscriminate solid waste dumping as a result of that it has been reduced to mere carrier of waste.

    The river receives fresh water only during monsoon and during rest of the year it carries untreated sewage and industrial effluent across the city. According to Nag River Basin Action plan prepared by Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB), Nag River is the main culprit for unsatisfactory water quality in Gosikhurd dam, built on Wainganga river.

    Other than domestic wastewater, industrial activities and sources like slaughter house, hospitals and also contribute to river pollution. It is necessary to collect, treat and discharge the domestic wastewater generated in the river catchment.

    The DPR suggested testament plant of 5 mld at Shankar NagarMunicipalSchool,30mld at Mor Bhavan bus stand and 37 mld at Martin Nagar. The entire catchment of Nag River and Bor is divided into 9 sewerage districts and 32 districts of Pili river. The total length of sewer proposed in Nag catchment area is around 370 kms.


    Stay Updated : Download Our App
    Mo. 8407908145