Major tragedy averted at Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport as the airport director’s car which was parked near the airstrip suddenly caught fire here on Saturday morning. A passenger laden domestic Indigo flight was also set to fly about approx. 300 meters from the place of accident. However, timely action by the ground crew resulted in dousing the flames without any major loss. Sources said though the car was half burnt, it could have led to major disaster.
The Tata Indigo car bearing registration number MH-31 CR 2212, parked near the airport tarmac, was used by airport director for official purpose. Short circuit in the car’s air-conditioner was said to be the reason behind the fire.
Officials have conducted probe to detect the actual cause of fire.
Meanwhile, panic grew among the passengers aboard Indigo flight as they heard the news of fire. But the officials managed to condense the situation.
Sources said the lack of alertness could also be one of the reasons behind the fire. The flames were at very short distance to this flight and it could have been resulted into major tragedy.
Nagpur Today tried to contact local airport authorities but they remained unavailable for the comment.