Under the Nagpur Zilla Parishad’s MHADA scheme, nearly 30 dams were built in between year 2006 to 2007 in Katol and Narkhed Taluka. The Government had sanctioned Rs 2.58 Crores for the project. The Anti Corruption Bureau received a complaint of massive misappropriation in the execution of this project. A committee was constituted headed by Engineer of the Minor Irrigation Department to investigate into the misappropriation in the construction of all the dams. The committee had submitted the report after investigation of 25 dams out of 30 dams constructed.
Special investigation, found that claims were for expenditure for construction bigger dams while actually only smaller dams were constructed with smaller dimensions covering a smaller area. The team members got some specific parts of the dam excavated for test check of dimensions in the presence of concerned contractor and Zilla Parishad Officials.
During the investigation, the committee found that the officials had manipulated the calculations in the accounts and had misappropriated Rs 65,13,228.00. The quality of the work was found to be substandard and constructions were not as per the specifications indicated in the contract, while the bill was raised and passed for larger quantities.
The then Zilla Parishad officials who had given contract to the Black-listed contractors, did not follow the tender process and instead entrusted the responsibility to the Gram Panchayat level officials thus abdicated their responsibility. Many other instances of abuse of powers by Zilla Parishad officials have also come to the fore during the investigations. Similarly, many other administrative lacunas, commissions and omissions have come to fore in the investigations like the then Zilla Parishad officials neglecting to monitor the execution of the contracted work, not verifying the entries in the measurement books, not verifying the quality and adherence of the specifications of the allotted contract work and yet releasing the payments to the contractors.
Similarly one more fact has come to fore where the Block Development Officer has not verified private contractors’ work execution and he paying inflated bill amounts to the contractors. The official has purposely ignored the verification of the construction work executed by private contractors who has not performed the constructions according to the quality and specifications of the contract, thereby earning money for self and causing financial loss to the government.
The below mentioned official were found to have supported or helped private contractors to make money and causing financial loss to the government. A case of corruption and neglect to perform their duties has been registered at Sadar Police Station, Nagpur City against 14 officials on November 15, 2014. A case has been registered under Crime No 424/14 under section 13(1) (C), Sub-Section 13 (2), and section 13 of Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 and under sections 420, 409, 438, 471, 34, 120 (b) of Indian Penal Code.
The following are the names, position held and the addresses of the accused.
1. Baldev Madhavrao Sangode (50), Retired Executive Engineer, Minor Irrigation Department, Zillha Parishad, Nagpur and a resident of Block No. Suman Vihar. 85, Near Mohammed Ali Petrol Pump, Kamptee Road, (Bhilgaon), Nagpur.
2. Ayala Somayajula Venkata Rao (49), Retired Executive Engineer, Zilha Parishad, Chandrapur and a resident of 160 Godavari Apartments, Ambajhari Layout, Hilltop, Nagpur.
3. Namdeo Appaji Gajbhiye (59), Retired Deputy Engineer, Irrigation Sub-V. Narked, Zilha Parishad, Nagpur and a resident Jatarodi, No. 2, Plot no. 169-A, Nagpur.
4. Nandkisor Narayandas Pandit (46), Branch Engineer, Rural Water Supply, Zilha Parishad, Nagpur and a resident Bajaj Kamal Apartment, near Loha Pul, Ayachit Temples, Mahal, Nagpur.
5. Dilip Sudhakarrao Satfle (47), Branch Engineer, Irrigation Department, Zilha Parishad, Nagpur and a resident of K L Sharnagat, Pushpa Nagari, near Padmavati Nagar, Besa, Nagpur.
6. Krushnarao Laksmanrao Jalke (61), Retired Additional Chief Executive Officer, Zilla Parishad, Nagpur and a resident of 258, Jawahar Nagar, Manevadha Road, Nagpur-24.
7. Vasudeo Bapuji Bandarkar, Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Zilla Parishad, Panchayat Department, Nagpur and a resident of Jawahar Nagar, near Subhedar Layout, Nagpur.
8. Prakash Anandrao Tatte, Higher-Grade Block Development Officer, Varud, Amravati district and a resident of karuna Prakash, Shubham Layout, Behind Rohini Park, Kattora Naka, Amravati.
9. Vasant Chandrabhan Nikaju, Private Contractor, Nikaju Construction Company and a resident of Sarju Gopi Apartment, Plot no. 8, Trimurti Nagar, Ring Road, Nagpur
10. Chandu Keshav Charpe, Private Contractor and a resident of Pili Square, Kamptee, District Nagpur.
11. Ashok M. Thakur, Private Contractor and a resident of Zenda Square, Jingabai Takli, Mankapur, Nagpur.
12. Rahul Ramesh Srivastava, Private Contractor, Gopal Nagar, Nagpur.
13. Yashwant Rao Kalbande, Kalbande Construction Company, a private contractor and a resident of Main Road, Dodkipura, Katol Taluka, District Nagpur.
14. Gangadhar Khumeria, Sri Balaji Construction Company, a private contractor and a resident of Khatgav, Katol Taluka, District Nagpur.
The initial investigations in the case was done by the then Deputy Superintendent of Police of Anti-Corruption Bureau Abhay Panhekar and Sanjay Purandare. However, after the approval of the ACB Headquarters, when the crime was registered further investigations are being performed by Deputy Superintendent of Police Milind Totre of ACB Nagpur.
Raids have been conducted on the residences of those officials who are still serving and further investigation is on.
Presently the investigations are performed under the guidance of the Superintendent of Police Prakash Jadhav and Additional Superintendent of Police Milind Totre by Ramesh Bhoyar has Komal Bisen.
The ACB has appealed to the citizens to report any demand for bribe or corruption with the Anti Corruption Bureau on toll-free landline number 1064.