Dean of GMCH gheraod to press for demand
Nagpur: A visit to Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) will give a glimpse of the reality of patients getting treatment. Most of the treatment is done by interns who, sources alleged that they are experimenting with the lives of poor patients. There are many issues that haunt GMCH.
The activists of Youth Congress led by Bunty Shelke and Kunal Puri, Gen Sec, Nagpur City Youth Congress raised these issues with the Dean of GMCH Dr Abhimanyu Niswade. The activists gheraod the Dean of GMCH Dr Abhimanyu Niswade and informed him about the reality and pressed their demand for improvement so that poor and needy patients get proper and cheap treatment.
Activists raised several demands wherein hospital should impose a ban on the Medical Representative, OPD and Ward-Boys must be available 24 hours, Doctor and hospital staff should behave well with patients, provision to conduct all kind of diagnostic tests within GMCH.
Nagpur City Youth Congress president Bunty Shelke claimed that hospital service for the patients is supposed to be very cheap so the authorities should ensure that the poor patients are not forced to go out and conduct diagnostic tests and procure medicines from outside. Generic medicines should only be prescribed and blood whenever required should be given at a low rate.
The Dean of GMCH Abhimanyu Niswade claimed that they are unable to provide some of the facilities due to lack of budgetary provisions. However he assured that all such demands which are feasible and is possible for GMCH authorities, an attempt will be made to implement and provide them to the poor and needy patients.
Some of the demands include:
- 1. Private Medical Representatives (MRs) should be banned from entering into the Government Medical College and Hospital and Super Specialty Hospital.
- 2. Doctors at GMCH should only prescribe generic medicines.
- 3. Doctors at GMCH, Medical Representatives and personnel from private diagnostic centres should stop exploiting poor patients.
- 4. Government Medical College and Hospital and Super Specialty Hospital must appoint adequate staff for every Wards immediately.
- 5. Stretchers should be available in the Out Patient Department (OPD) and Ward-Boys should be available for pushing stretchers for all 24 hours.
- 6. Out Patient Department in the Super Specialty Hospital must be open all 24 hours.
- 7. Doctors and staff at GMCH doctors must behave well.
- 8. Demand to remove private pharmacy from GMCH and to add generic medicines pharmacy in GMCH and Super Specialty Hospital.
- 9. An Income Tax probe should be initiated over all government doctors of GMCH and Super Specialty Hospital.
- 10. A rate list of all diagnostic tests should put on board outside in GMCH and Super Specialty Hospital so that common people will get proper information.