Published On : Wed, Jul 22nd, 2015

Yakub Memon again files mercy petition before President, this time through jail superintendent

YakubNagpur: Yakub Memon, Mumbai’s 1993 serial blast guilty has been trying all out efforts to escape the gallows. After the Supreme Court rejected the curative petition of Yakub on Tuesday, he has reportedly made last ditch effort by handing over the mercy petition to jail administration to be forwarded to the President yet again. It may be mentioned that the President had already rejected the mercy petition. Anil Gedam, counsel of Yakub Memon, explained that the earlier mercy petition was made by Yakub’s brother on behalf of Yakub. As per the Indian Constitution, it is the fundamental right of every individual handed out death sentence to seek mercy from the President of India, he said.

He informed that a letter to this effect was given to the jail administration to be sent to the President through the governor of Maharashtra.

Meanwhile, after the apex court rejected the curative petition, the jail administration is speeding up the process of hanging Yakub.

As the hearing on Yakub’s curative petition was to be held on Tuesday, his lawyer namely Adv Shubel Farukh air dashed to Nagpur from Delhi on Tuesday morning itself.

When contacted, jail superintendent Yogesh Desai was not available for comments. However, additional director general of police and inspector general of prisons Meera Borwankar said that she was not aware of the mercy petition made by Yakub to the President.