Nagpur: A 40-year old woman immolated herself in Jaripatka area here on Monday night. She succumbed to her burn injuries the next day. The reason behind the woman taking such extreme step could not be ascertained immediately.
The deceased, Shubhangi Vijay Lokhande, resident of Plot No. 45, Dayalu Society, Kapil Nagar, poured kerosene on her person at about 8.45 pm on Monday and set her ablaze in her residence. Shubhangi suffered serious burn injuries and was taken to Government Medical College and Hospital. However, she succumbed to severe burns around 3.30 pm on Tuesday.
Jaripatka ASI Rajkumar Pawar has registered a case of accidental death and investigating the matter further.
In another similar case, a young woman who was burned in stove explosion at her residence in Hudkeshwar area on September 15, died during the course of treatment in the wee hours of Wednesday.
The deceased Uma Manoj Raut (35), resident of Mangaldeep Nagar, near Durga Mandir, had received grievous burn injuries as the stove on which she was warming water for bath exploded on September 15 morning. The stove burst engulfed her gown and Uma received severe burns. She was first taken to Orange City Hospital but for reasons she was later taken to Sai Hospital. The doctors at the Sai Hospital referred her to Government Medical College and Hospital. Uma was finally admitted in GMCH for treatment. She succumbed to the severe burns around 2.45 am on Wednesday.
Hudkeshwar API R R Sawant has registered a case of accidental death and launched investigations.