Three years after the nation was shocked by the brutal gang rape and ‘murder’ of Delhi girl in a moving bus the nation, and Parliament is rocked again by the question of who allowed her rapist, awaiting appeal hearing in the Supreme Court, and presently lodged in the high security Tihar jail, to be interveiwed by a British film maker who is now ready to air the documentary.
The girl, named Nirbhaya, by TOI and the Govt. later, died as a result of the heinous injuries she suffered during the attack. There was unanimous hue and cry among everyone asking for the rapists to be caught and sentenced to death immediately.
They were apprehended soon after, allegedly confessed to the crime and sentenced to death by lower courts. As expected, their defense lawyers approached the Supreme Court where the case is now pending.
As her parents lament “even one hearing hasn’t been held in one entire year. If this is how a sensational case that moved the entire country is treated imagine what happens to the rest? And to add insult to our injury now this rapist is bold enough to give interviews in which he supposedly blames Nirbhaya herself for the assault that killed her.”
“She ought not to have resisted” the man said.
While speaking to BBC Four from his cell in an interview that appears in ‘India’s Daughter’, a BBC Storyville documentary, Mukesh Singh, the rapist, said that a girl is ‘far more responsible for rape’ than a boy.
He said housework and housekeeping was the domain of girls and they had no rights to roam or visit discos and bars at night.
“They are doing wrong things, wearing wrong clothes,” he said, and added that only ’20 percent’ of the girls were good.
Singh added that executing him and the other convicts in the case will further endanger rape victims as now, when girls are raped, they will not leave the v
Now the question is WHO allowed the interview on the basis of which the film was made? It was not as a result of one or two meetings but he was interviewed in many parts for a cumulative 16 hours inside the prison.
Sushil Kumar Shinde, Home Minister of UPA, has the needle of suspicion pointing towards him now, but has denied culpability.
Now the Police Commissioner of Delhi and DIG Prisons are being questioned to get to the bottom of this mystery.
Home minister Rajnath Singh on Wednesday made a statement in the Rajya Sabha on the telecast of the controversial interview of Nirbhaya’s rapist.
Singh said the permission conditions were violated by the documentary maker. He said that permission had been granted for social purposes and the documentary was not to be used for commercial reasons and in the public arena. He assured the House no such permission would be granted in the future.
He added that a restraining order had been obtained against the interview’s telecast, and a report has been sought from Tihar Jail where the rapist was incarcerated.