New York/Nagpur: An overheating, smoking Samsung smartphone forced the evacuation of a Southwest Airlines jet that was preparing to take off from the Louisville airport.
The incident raised fresh trouble for Samsung, which saw its new Galaxy Note 7 device recalled last month because of overheating batteries.
Samsung, Southwest and federal aviation-safety officials declined to say what model of Samsung phone was involved, saying they were still investigating.
But an Indiana woman, Sarah Green, told The Courier-Journal of Louisville that it was her husband’s Galaxy Note 7 that made popping noises and started to smoke after he powered it down while the plane sat at the gate.
Green told the newspaper that her husband, Brian, received the Galaxy Note 7 about two weeks ago as a replacement for his recalled phone. He called her from someone else’s phone to tell her what happened.
Last month Samsung agreed to recall the Galaxy Note 7 after receiving 92 reports of batteries overheating in the US, including 26 reports of burns and 55 cases of property damage.
The Federal Aviation Administration took the unusual step of warning passengers not to use or charge the devices while on board and not to stow them in checked luggage.