Municipal Commissioner Shyam Wardhane on Saturday visited Futala Lake and Ambazari Lake Overflow Point and reviewed arrangements for immersion of Lord Ganesh idols. Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) has made arrangements for immersion of Lord Ganesh idols at Sonegaon Lake, Gandhisagar, Naik Talav, Sakkardara Lake, Sanjay Gandhi Lake in Khadan apart from Futala and Ambazari Lakes.
Those who accompanied Wardhane include NMC’s Deputy Director (Health) Dr Milind Ganvir, Medical Officer Dr Prakash Urkude, Assistant Commissioner Rajesh Karade, Green Vigil Organisation’s Kaustubh Chatterjee, Surabhi Jaiswal, Zonal Health Officer P T Tembhekar, and officials of concerned departments. The Municipal Commissioner inspected the arrangements made for immersion of idols at Futala and Ambazari Lakes mainly the artificial tanks for immersion of PoP (Plaster of Paris) idols. NMC has created big artificial tanks at both the lakes. Similarly, many artificial tanks are being placed at various other locations of the city to facilitate smooth immersion of idols. Large drums and tanks are also being placed for collection of flowers, garlands, plastic bags and other puja material. Wardhane directed the Dr Ganvir to remove garbage speedily from Futala Lake with the help of Pokland machines.
Nagpur Municipal Corporation, with the cooperation of other social and Non-Government Organisations (NGOs), is making various arrangements to avoid pollution of lakes and other water resources during immersion of idols. A meeting presided over by Dr Milind Ganvir was held in this connection. The responsibility for collection and transportation of flowers, garlands and other material from ommersion places has been given to NGOs and Kanak Resources Pvt Ltd. Following are the arrangements:
- 1) Futala Lake: The Green Vigil Organisation will work at lake’s Air Force side and Rotary Club at Amravati Road side.
- 2) Gandhisagar Lake: Rotary Club Nagpur, Yog Sampada Organisation and students of Nisarga Vidnyan Sanstha and Rajendra High School.
- 3) Naik Talav: Jan Jagrut Samiti and students of Sindhu Mahavidyalaya.
- 4) Ambazari Lake Overflow Point: Activists of Nisarga Vidnyan Sanstha will work here.
- 5) Sonegaon Lake: Activists of Vruksha Samvardhan Samiti and Nisarga Vidnyan Sanstha will work here.
- 6) Sakkardara Lake: Workers of Aranya Paryavaran Sanstha and Sant Tukoba Santha.
- 7) Sanjay Gandhi Lake Khadan: Activists of Aranya Paryavaran Sanstha will work here.
The NMC has appealed all citizens to cooperate with the social organizations in keeping the water resources free of pollution during immersion of Lord Ganesh idols.