Sambhar Sadam, Kadamba Sadam, Kootanchoru
Rice – 2 cup
Split red gram (tur)dal – 1 cup
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Water- 5 cups
Tamarind – lemon sized
Small onions – 6nos
Tomato – 1 big
Green chillies – 2 nos ( finely chopped )
Potato – 1/4 cup ( cut into cubes)
Eggplant – 1 big/ 3 small( cut into cubes)
French beans – 1/4 cup (cut into small pieces)
Drumstick – 1 (cut into small pieces)
Sambar powder- 3 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
ghee – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves- 10
Coriander leaves(Cilantro) – for garnish (finely chopped)
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Salt – To taste
1. Cook rice and split red gram in 5 cups of water.
2. Heat oil in a wide skillet.Now add mustard seed.
3. Once it pops add fenugreek seend, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
4. Saute the onions. Cook tomato, green chillies, potatoes, brinjal, french beans,drumstick in 3/4 cup of water.
5. Add the cooked veggies, sambar powder and tamarind water (tamarind soaked in water ) to the rice and cook on medium heat for seven minutes.
6. Add ghee and stir well and remove from heat.
7. Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot.
– The veggies can be cooked along with rice and split red gram.
– The final rice should be little soggy.
– Any choice veggies can be added.