Published On : Wed, Oct 26th, 2016

Long arm of law catches up with accused: accused in firing incident apprehended after 1.5 years

Nagpur: As they rightly say that it is not easy for criminals to escape the long arm of the law in a city where the police personnel are very active. In a similar success of efficient investigative work by police officials, a criminal who was involved in a firing incident and who had been hiding out for years was finally apprehended on October 25, 2016.

While addressing the media personnel, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone-3) M Rajkumar said that the efficient investigative work done by cops of DCP Special Squad of Zone-3 yielded results and an accused who was involved in a firing incident in Mominpura area was finally nabbed.

According to DCP M Rajkumar, between 4:45 am to 5 am, on July 9, 2015, four accused had fired at Iftekar Hasnav Abdul Aziz and a resident of Timki who was returning home after reading Namaz in Garib Nawaz Masjid situated in Mominpura area. When he was at a spot hit opposite to Madani Chicken Centre in Bakra Mandi area, these four accused at fired at him with a country made pistol in an attempt to kill him. The accused had fled the scene soon after firing at the accused. On the basis of his complaint, the cops of Tehsil Police had registered a case under Crime No 182/15 under Sections 307 and 34 of Indian Penal Code and under Sub-sections 3+25 and 27 of Arms Act against unidentified accused.

In spite of investigation into the firing incident, the four accused could not be apprehended. However, after one and a half year, the cops of cops of DCP Special Squad of Zone-3 got a secret tip off and the cops managed to nab four of the accused.

The accused are identified as Mohammed Yasin Mohammed Kasim Quereshi (Main accused) aged 37 years and a resident of Mhalgi Nagar, Besa Power House area, Nagpur, 2) Mohammed Shahbaz alias Wasi Ali aged 28 years and a resident of Habib Nagar, Teka Naka, 3) Sharukh Khan alias Raja Mohammed Iqbal aged 23 years and a resident of Hasanbagh Nagpur, 4) Washim Khan alias Mohseen aged 23 years and a resident of Kharbi area and 5) Musim Quereshi (younger brother of  Mohammed Yasin Quereshi). The fifth accused is said to be still absconding.

The In-charge of the DCP Special Squad of Zone-3 Assistant Police Inspector Pankaj Bodse, Head Constables Pramod, Anil, Shyam Mishra, Naik Police Constables Rajendra, Roshan, Sanjay, Anand Wankhede, Jayant Selot and Ajay, Ashish.

Based on the tip-off, the cops were on the look-out for the accused. They noticed Mohammed Shahnawaz alias Wasi Ali moving suspiciously in Habib Nagar, Teka Naka slums. They took him into custody and carried out a detailed questioning about the firing incident. After a long time, he spilled the beans and confessed to his role in the crime. He also told the names and identity of all the other co-accused in the case. The cops took into custody the entire accused one by one.

The main master-mind is said to be Mohammed Yasin Mohammed Kasim Quereshi. In 2011, the victim Iftekar Hasnav Abdul Aziz also known as Bhanja had murdered the friend of the accused Mohammed Yasin Quereshi who was in the business of fisheries identified as Mohammed Abid. Eight days before the firing incident, Iftekar Hasnav Abdul Aziz had threatened the main accused Mohammed Yasin Quereshi and had claimed that he will enter his house and kill him. Assuming that as soon as Ramzan is over, Iftekar Hasnav Abdul Aziz will kill him, so before he kills him, Mohammed Yasin Quereshi wanted to eliminate Iftekar Aziz first.

Mohammed Yasin Quereshi had taken into confidence all the accused and after planning, he had incorporated the help of his own brother Mohammed Mujib Mohammed Hasim Quereshi and the other accused had carried out the firing incident. Mohammed Yasin Quereshi had confessed that he had planned to murder the victim.

The above able investigation and success in solving the case was held under the guidance of Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone-3) M Rajkumar, Assistant Commissioner of Police (Kotwali Division) A R Jagtap and Senior Police Inspector S V Khandekar, the cops of DCP Special Squad of Zone-3 managed to apprehend all the accused after one and half year of the firing incident. The accused have been given a PCR of two-days for further investigations.