Mumbai: In a span of 10 days between April 20 and 30, H1N1 toll in the state rose by 25. The latest casualties have pushed the death tally in Maharashtra to 135 so far this year. Mumbai so far has accounted for two of these deaths. As many as 1,441 people have tested positive for the contagion, previously called swine flu, in the state this year
With 36 deaths, Pune has recorded the highest number of casualties followed by Nashik (29) and Nagpur (23). At least 11 people from other parts of the state have died in Mumbai hospitals while undergoing treatment.
Nagpur recorded the highest number of positive cases at 333, followed by Nashik (256). Mumbai has detected over 140 positive cases. “When compared to the first three months of this year, the number of cases has come down since the last month,” said a state health official.
“We have intensified surveillance of influenza-like illness across the state,” the official added. Physician Dr Pratit Samdani said that cases of H1N1 continue to be reported from the city. “Very few have needed hospitalisation, but we are seeing cases,” he said. “It is not just H1N1 but several other types of viral infection that is in circulation. Upper respiratory infections are common,” he said.