Five residents, including two children, of an apartment named ‘Ajinkya Plaza’ in Gokulpeth here were burnt alive in a massive fire that broke in the apartment’s basement in the wee hours of Friday. All the five were trapped in a lift, in a bid to escape the fire. Panic struck among the residents after the fire and they were trying to escape through different routes. The vehicles parked in the basement too caught fire badly. The short circuit is said to be the reason behind the massive fire.
The deceased were identified as Salila Siriya (65),Shruti Mali (32), Ragini Siriya (35), Niransh Siriya (3) and Shahana Mali (2). All the five were trying to land on the basement through lift from the first floor which was completely engulfed in the flames. Nishant Siriya, husband of Ragini, was lucky to survive the tragedy after he managed to escape from the same lift in which his family was later charred to death.
Stunned by the leaping flames in the basement, watchman Lekhraj Parteki was the first to raise an alarm. While most of the families opted to escape to the terrace and upper floors, Siriyas from the first floor took the lift. The local residents had tried to rescue the family trapped in the lift but was unable to save them. Fire brigade and personnel from Ambazari police station, under DCP Abhinash Kumar, rushed to the spot and helped evacuate the others while the Siriyas remained inside the lift which was completely damaged in the fire.
Ambazari police have registered a case of accidental death. Cops are also probing any sabotage