Quick response by Fire & Emergency Services Department of Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) averted a major tragedy at Lokmat Building after fire broke out on sixth and seventh floors due to electric short circuit, late Saturday evening. As soon as an alarm went off in the Fire Control Room at around 7 pm, a team of fire-fighters led by officiating Chief Fire Officer B Chandankhede wing into action and took control of the situation.
The fire officers checked their hotline system and found on the LED screen that thick smoke was billowing out from the passage of sixth and seventh floors of Lokmat Building. The persons managing smoke detectors and Fire extinguishing equipment at Lokmat Building had strangely put the alarm on silent mode. The fire officers immediately contacted them and alerted about the fire in B-Wing of the building.
People on sixth and seventh floors vacated their offices and came down using stairs. Some people, including some women,got stuck in the lift but managed to come down from the stairs despite smoke. A Fire engine with turntable ladder (TTL) and two fire tenders were pressed into service. Under the supervision of officiating Chief Fire Officer Chandankhede, firefighters combating with the inferno.
A huge crowd of onlookers gathered when the firefighting operation was on. Staff from Sitabuldi Police and Traffic Branch also rushed to the spot. Vehicular traffic at Janata Chowk was thrown out of gear for some time. After half an hour, fire fighters succeeded in dousing the flames.
Officiating Chief Fire Officer Chandankhede told ‘The Sources’ that no casualty was reported. The loss due to fire was yet to be estimated, he added. Chandankhede informed that thick smoke had accumulated in the passages due to burning of electric wires. “Timely action by our fire fighters averted a major tragedy,” he added.