Published On : Wed, Mar 15th, 2017

Fire at a wine shop sparks panic in Dharampeth, no casualties reported

Nagpur: A midnight fire in a wine shop sparked panic as a number of liquor bottles were reduced to melting glass coupled with explosions. However, no casualties were reported even though material loss was stated to be in thousands.

The fire broke out in Johri Wines situated behind Lahoree Deluxe, Coffee House Square, Dharampeth, around 2 am on Wednesday (March 15). As some passersby noticed smoke billowing from the wine shop the Fire Brigade was informed. Three tenders were rushed to the spot and the fire was brought under control. Had the fire taken monstrous shape it would have been a major tragedy. An eye hospital is situated in the upper floor of the building apart from a number of adjoining shops. The crackling of wine bottles due to intense heat caused explosions, albeit of lower intensity. But the phenomenon was enough to trigger panic among nearby residents. Thick smoke engulfed the area. As a precaution, a fire tender was positioned at the spot till the dawn. The firefighters were taking no chance even though the fire was brought under control in the night itself.

The morning saw a crowd of curious onlookers gathered at the spot and speculating over the cause of the fire which has not been ascertained by Fire Brigade personnel so far.