Authorities in Haryana called in the Army in a few districts, including Rohtak after the agitation by Jat protestors turned violent. The Jat protestors, who have been demanding reservation in jobs and educational institutions, torched several police and private vehicles in Rohtak.
Here’s what the entire problem is about:
Who are the Jats?
A north Indian martial and farming community not traditionally considered ‘backward’.
What did the CM offer them?
* A special backward class quota; basis: economic status
Why did they reject it?
* They want to be in the OBC category
* Jats make up 29% of Haryana’s population. They’re politically and economically well off. They’re better off in terms of education too. The demand to be declared OBC will help them corner the 27% OBC reservation in govt jobs
SC on Jat Quota
* SC said ‘social backwardness’ key to determine backwardness — caste alone cannot be reason to grant reservation.
* If Haryana were to add a Jat quota to the existing OBC (27%) +SC & ST (22.5%), it would defy SC cap of 50% reservations.
Jat stir goes back to 1990s
Jats have agitated to be on the OBC list of the Centre & states, since VP Singh’s Mandal report of 1991.
* 1997: Their demand in Haryana, UP and MP to be in central OBC list rejected by the National Commission for Backward Classes
* 2002: The panel commissions a survey to review Jats’ backwardness in six states, including Haryana and UP.
Haryana’s surveys of Jats compare them to higher castes, not the lower ones
* 2005: Cong’s Bhupinder Singh Hooda promises them a quota; he becomes CM
* 2014: Hooda includes Jats & four other castes under 10% Specially Backward Class (SBC) quota
* July 2015: Specially Backward Class quota set aside by high court after SC refuses to accept the recommendations
* In March 2015, SC rejects Centre’s decision to include Jats from 9 states in central OBC list: Haryana, Bihar, Gujarat, Himachal, MP, Delhi, Rajasthan, UP & Uttarakhand.
What happened on Friday?
* Protesters break into home of state minister Captain Abhimanyu, try to set it on fire; burn his cars
* One killed when policemen fire on protesters who blocked a road near the Rohtak-Delhi bypass, burned a police jeep and other vehicles.
* Protestors block highways, rail tracks. Train services to MP, Rajasthan disrupted
* 40 trains passing through Haryana over two days cancelled
* Army called in eight districts
* Bus services stopped on many routes
* Schools shut down
* Supplies of essentials hit