| | Contact: 8407908145 |
    Published On : Wed, May 8th, 2013
    Latest News | By Nagpur Today samratnt

    Devastating fire gutted material of crores of rupees to ashes

    Nagpur News:

    In the most devastating fire in the city this year, material of crores of rupees was gutted to ashes on the wee hours of Wednesday. The fire broke at Shri Ganesh Cold Storage at Nagpur-Bhandara Road, near Pardi Chungi Naka at around1.30 am and couldn’t be control till 12 noon. More than 7 fire tenders were deployed to control the fire, but scorching heat and lack of free to get inside the godown was hindering the operation.

    Chilly powder and other spices were stored in the godown which added to the problems of the fire brigade officials. Material of crores of rupees of 8-10 traders was kept in the godown. The traders claimed that fire Department took one hour to reach the place and were lineate in handling the fire. Fire tenders from Lakadganj, Kalamna, Civil Lines Fire Stations were also deployed to control the devastating fire.

    Sources said that at around 1.30 am on Wednesday morning, cold storage security guard noticed the flames and immediately informed the owner of Shree Ganesh Cold Storage about the fire. Subhash Jain informed the police and fire fighting Department about the incidence who reached the spot with 7 fire tenders. Lakadganj Fire Fighting Department officer Chandankhede informed that fire fighters were having hard time to control the fire. Since the cold was filled to its capacity, it was difficult to enter the godown. They had to splash water only through windows which took more time to control the flames. Also, the chilly powder and other spices kept in the godown were working as hurdles to extinguish the fire.

    “The fire is so huge that the flames can be seen from a distance of 4 km. It has created a huge amount of smoke obstructing the visibility and making the task even more difficult for the fire. The spices were mixed with smoke and thus, creating burning sensation in the eyes of firemen,” said Chandankhede.

    “While the main reason of this fire could not be ascertained so far,” added Chandankhede. “This is the most devastating fire that we have witnessed this year,” he concluded.

    Sources said that there were four cold storages in the area, out of which three were under Shree Ganesh Cold Storage owned by Subhash Jain. Fortunately, fire did not spread in the remaining three cold storages. Material of around 8-10 traders were kept in the godown but owner of Suruchi spices (Father of Kush Kataria) will have to bear most of the losses since all his products are stored in these cold storages.

    Firemen informed that one of the storage does not even have NOC from Fire Department. Chandankhede informed that there are fire fighting equipments in the storage but the low quality equipments did not help in extinguishing the fire.

    Firemen speculated that since the fire broke from the ground floor, it was possible that the reason of this devastating fire could be short circuit in the electric meter but exact reason are yet to be ascertained.

    Stay Updated : Download Our App
    Mo. 8407908145