Panic gripped Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport authorities here on Monday when ATC tower there suddenly picked up flames, apparently due to short circuit following a spark. The fire officers swung into action and commanded control over the incident. No casualty was reported in the incident. The switch-board of the parcel cabin of Air India had reportedly caught fire. Many important documents and papers kept in the cabin were destroyed in the water used by the fire department.
According to information, the short circuit occurred in the switch board of the Cargo section of Indian Airlines, situated in the ATC Control Room. The fire took place when there was a heavy rush of people who came to receive their parcels. As soon as the information reached the Airport Security, the CISF staff maintaining security at Airport, barricaded the entire ATC building. The entry and exit of all persons was immediately stopped.
Fire engines were dispatched from the run-way side of the building to douse the flames. The fire department personnel managed to gain a control over the fire from that end first. Till the time of filing the story, it is not yet clear as to which important documents were destroyed in the fire and what is the amount of estimated loss. The media personnel were prevented entry into the building. The airport officials too refused to comment on the fire and give details.